Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dry sump oil system worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 03:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dry sump oil system worth it?

I just got a quote on a razor stage 3 dry sump pump and bracket for the LS1 and it came out to around $1030 for just the pump.

So with other things figured in (Oil cooler, remote filter, AN fittings, lines, etc) the overall cost of a nice sump system will be around $1600.

I'm always paranoid about my engine oiling, and I really like the idea of moving my car over to this system, are there any down sides to daily driving one of these? What if your belt breaks mid track?

With the new hptuners I know you have programmable outputs, I have also considered a alarm / engine kill with variables such as RPM > 500 && Oil Pressure < 30PSI so the car will start, but without oil pressure the alarm will go off and you will know something is wrong and hopefully be able to kill the motor without damage.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

A dry sump is going to cost more than that. You also have to have the pump, TANK (which you forgot to mention), a pre-tank filter, an after tank filter, cooler if you want it, all the lines and fittings !!! And you will probably want more than a 3 stage to do it right.

Dry sumps are absolutely the best for performance, but if you are going to do it half assed, then it won't make a difference -- only headaches. The pumps will need to be rebuilt fairly often on a "daily driver" type car, and you will have to replace belts as well. If the belt breaks, you are screwed -- another disadvantage.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its going to run about 5 grand to complete a dry sump.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:55 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep. More harm than good on a street car.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:55 PM
TECH Addict

That settles it then, long as my car is daily driven, dry sump is off my list

Quick Reply: Dry sump oil system worth it?