Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Bolt for pulley install is stuck...

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 03:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Long Bolt for pulley install is stuck...

I am in the middle of a cam install and the long bolt to put the pulley on is stuck (wont untighten or tighten). This is a stock pulley and it as never hammerd in by anything. It got torqued down with a 1/2 impact and then it got stuck. I have searched but have not really found the answer to this. I have been told it is more than likely the inside of the crank threads got stripped or the bolt itself got stripped?

I was told by a shop that they would have to pull the motor out and replace the crank if it was stripped!!

Has anyone else had this problem??

sorry if I posted this twice it just really sucks having this happen...
Old 11-15-2004, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the middle of a cam install and the long bolt to put the pulley on is stuck (wont untighten or tighten).

Are you referring to the stock harmonic balancer bolt?
Or are you using a piece of threaded rod to install the pulley onto the crank?

It got torqued down with a 1/2 impact and then it got stuck.

NEVER use an impact to install a harmonic balancer. For many reasons it is highly frowned upon.

I have been told it is more than likely the inside of the crank threads got stripped or the bolt itself got stripped?

All are possible scenarios. They are not of importance at this point, though. You must get the bolt out and examine both the crank and bolt threads.

If the crank threads are damaged you'll want to either:
- use a thread CHASER (not a tap) to clean up the threads. Or you could shave down two sides of the stock balancer bolt to clean up the threads.
- Helicoil a new set of threads into the crank

I was told by a shop that they would have to pull the motor out and replace the crank if it was stripped!!

It depends.
Old 11-15-2004, 03:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
I am in the middle of a cam install and the long bolt to put the pulley on is stuck (wont untighten or tighten).

Are you referring to the stock harmonic balancer bolt?
Or are you using a piece of threaded rod to install the pulley onto the crank?

It got torqued down with a 1/2 impact and then it got stuck.

NEVER use an impact to install a harmonic balancer. For many reasons it is highly frowned upon.

I have been told it is more than likely the inside of the crank threads got stripped or the bolt itself got stripped?

All are possible scenarios. They are not of importance at this point, though. You must get the bolt out and examine both the crank and bolt threads.

If the crank threads are damaged you'll want to either:
- use a thread CHASER (not a tap) to clean up the threads. Or you could shave down two sides of the stock balancer bolt to clean up the threads.
- Helicoil a new set of threads into the crank

It depends.
edited: found out it was the long bolt n othe stock tsp crank bolt.

Last edited by ws.6kid; 11-21-2004 at 02:29 AM. Reason: found out it was the long bolt n othe stock tsp crank bolt
Old 11-15-2004, 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ws.6kid
Its the long crank bolt that comes with TSP cam kits...
That's a stock crank bolt. That is not to be used to seat the pulley.

You use the previously used crank bolt you removed from the car originally to re-seat the pulley per GM's instructions. Once the pulley is seated you remove the bolt, install the new GM bolt and torque it to 36 lb/ft then rotate it an additional 140*. The instructions to doing this are on http://www.ls1howto.com

However, even doing it this way can damage the threads.

The most secure way to do it is via a harmonic balancer installer that uses a threaded rod and nut combo to seat the pulley. You then remove the rod, install the new bolt and torque as above.
Old 11-15-2004, 04:05 PM
11 Second Club

[b]It got torqued down with a 1/2 impact and then it got stuck.

Damn, I stopped reading it right there You are in for a long shitty road to get that thing out... PM a user on here that goes by the screen name "tapout", it ended up costing him $800 when he broke the long bolt off in his crank
Old 11-15-2004, 04:59 PM
TECH Resident

Damn, you used an impact? Hopefully your compressor and gun arent too powerful. Otherwise this could get ugly.
Old 11-15-2004, 06:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ok the car in question is at my house. WS.6kid is doing the best he can to describe what's goin on as it is his car. A mutual friend of ours was doing the cam install. It is NOT the stock crank bolt nor the one that came with the TSP kit. It is a bolt the same size roughly an inch longer as you are supposed to use a slightly longer bolt to pull the harmonic balancer on and seat it and then install the stock length bolt that comes with the kit. He did use and impact but that's only good to 140 lb. ft. so that being said I don't see how it would have screwed it up. It will thread out to a certain point with no problems but then just siezes up and he does not want to just keep trying to take it out and mess it up worse but I think that's what is going to have to happen. We even tried to brace a breaker bar against the frame and turn over the motor in the so that it would loosen the bolt but it physically slowed down the motor because it's in such a bind. I'm hoping and praying we can get it out and rethread it somehow so that the motor doesn't have to be pulled and a new crank or repairs to the existing crank have to be done. I'll keep everyone updated with this nightmare. this should clarify everything.

Jarred
Old 11-15-2004, 06:56 PM
11 Second Club

Do a search of my previous threads.Been there done something similar.I fixed mine and helped out a couple other guys.
Old 11-18-2004, 12:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ok now it has gone from bad to worse... Yesterday i ended up breaking the bolt in the crank. There is about a inch of bolt in the crank. Hopefully i can have it taken out and maybe the crank threads are ok?

This sucks I have everything installed except this damn pulley. I wanna hear my cam!
Old 11-18-2004, 02:08 AM
TECH Addict

good luck man.hope you find a fix.I would have never use an impact on the balancer.did both my cars and use a rachet and torque wrench.never think of using an impact.
Old 11-18-2004, 06:27 AM
11 Second Club

Something that will help the stock balancer go back on pretty easily is about an hour before you get ready to install it, set your oven in your house to a very low setting (I use 200*) and stick the balancer in there for about and hour.. get your oven mitts, pull it out of the oven and install it on the car while it is still hot. Works DAMN good.. Cablebandit off this site gave me that idea.
Old 11-18-2004, 01:39 PM
Teching In

That sucks man. i assume you have a tap set? its not to hard to pull a boolt out, but getting the drill up in there will be a pain in the ***. I had a bolt shear off once in my alternator bracket while i was racing. it threw the belt off and shredded it.

Of course your case is worse

Last edited by 95Snoozer; 11-18-2004 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-18-2004, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

What gets damaged when an impact is used?

FWIW, I heated my pulley with propane when I went to install it (the second time). I slide it up to the seal by hand.

I didn't get stupid with the propane, just got it hot enough to make it very uncomfortable to hold onto the center section of the pulley.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Angry

Well i dont know if I can get this bolt out its pretty far in there, it is at least 2 inches before i can feel the end of it with my pinky and theres about 1-2 inches of bolt in the crank.

It looks like I will have to get a new crank... I had this guy do the cam install and told him iwuold pay him 300 dollars to do it. He then got the crank bolt stuck during reassembling everything. I started off with a 300 dollar cam kit job now it has escalated $700 plus. Im mentally sick right now.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't think you'll need a new crank. Worst case is you'll have to take your crank out and have the old bolt eloxed (electrical discharged machined) out and then have the same shop install a helicoil or threaded insert. You'll still need to take the crank out, but it will be a lot cheaper than buying a new crank.
Old 11-21-2004, 02:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by glennhl
I don't think you'll need a new crank. Worst case is you'll have to take your crank out and have the old bolt eloxed (electrical discharged machined) out and then have the same shop install a helicoil or threaded insert. You'll still need to take the crank out, but it will be a lot cheaper than buying a new crank.
about how much do you think that will run me?
Old 11-21-2004, 02:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

the same thing happend to my bud he has 454 he broke the bolt trying to get out he had to get it tapped it cost him about $200 not to bad. if they do have to pull the motor dont let them screw you when i ran over a chunk of metal while i was driving i put a hole in my oil pan tranny pan and fucked up a bunch of othere thing long story short they had to pull the motor it cost me $500 including the new oil pan and tranny pan
Old 11-21-2004, 07:13 AM
9 Second Club

it sux for sure but do like I do with my screw ups. It's gonna take a bit of time to get everything back running...nice time for some upgrades.
Heating the balancer makes it slide on all the way and then you just tighten the bolt. Good luck,,,,,
Old 11-21-2004, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You need to ask some of your local auto repair places where to get the bolt eloxed out. I've never had it done, but I've heard it will cost you anything from $25 to $100 per hole depending on the size and depth. Good luck.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by glennhl
You need to ask some of your local auto repair places where to get the bolt eloxed out. I've never had it done, but I've heard it will cost you anything from $25 to $100 per hole depending on the size and depth. Good luck.
So can I get the bolt eloxed out without taking the crank out?

Quick Reply: Long Bolt for pulley install is stuck...