Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's 'wrong' with patriot heads?

Old 11-16-2004, 04:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's 'wrong' with patriot heads?

I'm looking for heads for my car, and I keep hearing bad things about the patriots. Can anyone help? I've done searches and haven't goten anything concrete to tell me why they are bad...
Old 11-16-2004, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

Keep looking.....really all I have seen here is a few valve drops and old style seals leaking but the new heads are supposed to have the better seals and buy the heads with the upgraded valves and shouldnt have a problem. Another thing is pay the extra money for them or FFHP to hand finish 'em for ya.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:07 PM
11 Second Club

i think that was with the old heads, as in they changed the way they made or the products in them. as of now i think that everything is straight, but i am not 100% on that
Old 11-16-2004, 05:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's also the variable of installation workmanship, which Patriot has no control over.

The risk of selling to an audience like us is that you have a few people with no clue how to use a torque wrench or angle-torque meter, don't understand the need for sealing surfaces to be spotless, etc.

But they'll post to the world that your product sucks when things don't go right...

I'm not affiliated w/ any of the vendors here, just my perspective as an observer.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by crainholio
There's also the variable of installation workmanship, which Patriot has no control over.

The risk of selling to an audience like us is that you have a few people with no clue how to use a torque wrench or angle-torque meter, don't understand the need for sealing surfaces to be spotless, etc.

But they'll post to the world that your product sucks when things don't go right...

I'm not affiliated w/ any of the vendors here, just my perspective as an observer.
I agree. A lot of problems are caused by shoddy installs, even by "pro" shops. I have only been to one shop that specialized in f-body vehicles. They didn't know what they were doing on my subframe install, and from all the horror stories I have heard they don't know much about anything else. Just because you do something a ton of times doesn't automatically mean you are good at it, LOL! I still regret not using loctite on the bolts that hold the cam plate in...I did loctite the bolts on the gear though. Stupid Internet instructions....:::grumble grumble:::
Old 11-16-2004, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Use search feature. plenty same posts and feedback.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

i have set of their 5.7stg.2s on my car.(i put them on last jan.)before i installed them i checked out the valve seals and found a couple that were torn.THIS WAS THE TEFLON SEALS.now they use the vitons,which is what GM uses.i called patriot and they sent me new vitons free of charge.yes,they had some QC issues then but i think those have been worked out. i would get the Manley or Ferrea valves(both are high quality) if you decide to buy a set.i didn't quite get the power i was hoping for but,IMO,my cam is too small for the heads.the intake ports are pretty big,if i would have gone with a cam in the 230 deg. duration range i think it would have worked out a lot better.and to my knowledge,nobody has broken one of their dual springs yet.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
No harm in asking again. It's a big investment. I was wondering the same thing. Good vendors (like the ones this website normally keep as sponsors) fix problems with their products, and it is nice to find out when it happens.

Sooo....how about those FAST TBs?
Old 11-16-2004, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

Use the eyeball feature and read my first post in this thread. I did search.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe Texas-Speed Performance made a write-up of why they are no longer selling the product anymore (I believe it was them)

-Todd
Old 11-16-2004, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

I talked to Gunnar@Patriot through PM's and he told me there is a 100% money back gurantee on them pre-installation. This means the buyer can have ANYONE oduble check the heads. Flow them, inspect them, you name it. They will cover them 100%. After install if there is a problem, they will inspect and repair or replace the heads, as well as provide new head bolts and gaskets for the reinstallation.

IMO this alone shows the company is serious about quality. Assuming they stand behind their word on the warranty it goes a long way toward helping me make an informed and secure decision.
Old 11-16-2004, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

IMO this alone shows the company is serious about quality
They have no choice after all the disasters their "quality" caused. How do you think they are able to sell these so cheap?? That is because they use cheap parts and mass produce them. Just tell me how you can achieve quality control on mass production? by hiring quality inspectors, which cost money and would raise the price.
PP heads are like a crap shoot, some are good and some are not.
What is the point in buying cheap heads, have them upgraded, checked by other vendors or mechs, you'll end up paying close to what a good set would cost.
Honestly, would you rely on a $2 valve to hold its own with a $4000 block? I know I wouldn't.
You get what you pay for period.
Old 11-17-2004, 12:09 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i will be posting independent flow numbers with an ls6 intake in a few weeks. Gunnar sent me a set to test out impartially. here are some pics (no 56k). from a visual standpoint they look great, better then my stg1 FFHP's. for 100 bucks you can upgrade to Ferrea valves.

PP Ls6 style heads:

bowl
intake port
exhaust port

My FFHP's (cnc'd by TEA):

chamber
intake
exhaust
bowl

My stock 806 heads:

chamber
intake port
exhaust port
Old 11-17-2004, 12:15 AM
On The Tree

looks like there is definitely some room for hand cleanup, but not bad
Old 11-17-2004, 01:44 AM
TECH Addict

They have no choice after all the disasters their "quality" caused. How do you think they are able to sell these so cheap?? That is because they use cheap parts and mass produce them. Just tell me how you can achieve quality control on mass production? by hiring quality inspectors, which cost money and would raise the price.
PP heads are like a crap shoot, some are good and some are not.
What is the point in buying cheap heads, have them upgraded, checked by other vendors or mechs, you'll end up paying close to what a good set would cost.
Honestly, would you rely on a $2 valve to hold its own with a $4000 block? I know I wouldn't.
You get what you pay for period.

I believe they get done so cheap because they have paid off alot of their equipment resulting in relatively low overhead.Not all things that cost less are cheap and not all things that are expensive are better.

How can you fault a company for having been financially responsible?

Patriot heads flat work. I have used them and had 0 problems with them.
Old 11-17-2004, 02:11 AM
10 Second Club

The old springs sucked ***, broke one spring got them replaced with what looked like the same old ones.

This time the springs didn't break, but I have 8 bent valves, two valves left nice marks on the #5 & 6 piston.

The heads do work, with the new gold springs you should be fine
Old 11-17-2004, 04:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

How can you fault a company for having been financially responsible?
Tell that to the people that had problems, see if they agree. They are what they are, Russian roulette.I really don't want to spend the time, but like I said do a search, read the materials and feedback, and you'll see, like I said (and I'm not the only one) some are good and some were disastreous.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:55 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jrp
i will be posting independent flow numbers with an ls6 intake in a few weeks. Gunnar sent me a set to test out impartially. here are some pics (no 56k). from a visual standpoint they look great, better then my stg1 FFHP's. for 100 bucks you can upgrade to Ferrea valves.

PP Ls6 style heads:
bowl

My FFHP's (cnc'd by TEA):
bowl
I like the swirl in the intake port. The PP heads with the swirl removed will show better flow numbers but probably have lower "real world" performance. Flow=Horsepower but Torque=acceleration
Old 11-17-2004, 08:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Tell that to the people that had problems, see if they agree. They are what they are, Russian roulette.I really don't want to spend the time, but like I said do a search, read the materials and feedback, and you'll see, like I said (and I'm not the only one) some are good and some were disastreous.
Something is amuck in the world...

We agree with each other "Z"

Ed
Old 11-17-2004, 08:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What's 'wrong' with patriot heads?