Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What should I ask about, look out for?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2004, 06:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What should I ask about, look out for?

I found a WS6 that I want to buy within the next 2 weeks. I'm new to LS1's and just wanted to see what I should look for, it's a high mileage car(90k). What kind of parts may have needed to have been replaced by now(timing chain??), and what might need to be replaced in the near future? What are some common problems I should ask if he's had fixed? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-16-2004, 06:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Wrong forum, but....

Check with the owner about oil consumption. According to GM, it's "normal" for these cars to use about 1qt/3000 miles. GM also says piston slap is "normal". Listen to the car on a cold start up. Piston slap will sound similar to a deisel. If this is really really loud, or does not go away within 10 minutes or so, you may want to see what the owener has to say about it.

If, by any chance, this car is sitting on the VW lot at Dixie Farm and 45, run. I got mine from there and it turned out to be a POS. I'm just about done with the rebuild though...
Old 11-16-2004, 06:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

No, not there, it's in Waco and a private seller. Sorry about the forums, wasn't sure where to post it, and the timing chain was my biggest concern.