Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Duration vs Lift? Another Cam post

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 06:05 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Duration vs Lift? Another Cam post

I've read as much as I possibly can upon the subject of cams and even gone too technical with reading some. What I'm wondering is how much of a correlation is there when it regards trading less lift for more duration and the effects it will have on horsepower? Using a TR224 as an example... D - 224/224 L - .586/.586 and we'll say on my setup with heads and header would make 400RWHP. If I lowered the lift to .575/.575 and raised the duration to XXX/XXX what should the duration be raised up to in order to keep about 400RWHP? Basically looking for something that will be kind on springs and still make good streetable horsepower. Thanks ahead of time for your input.

JasonG
Old 11-20-2004, 09:10 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

When you talk lifts, you are talking ramp rate/ lobe design. In general (so far) the higher the lifts=faster ramp rate= more aggressive lobes.

When choosing a cam many poeple just look at peak hp #'s and tend to overlook "power under the curve and how soon this power comes on" which is really more important for street cars and our daily use of them.

New designs are comming out on a regular basis, one of them is VHP/Crane lobes which use "accelerated lifts" and are putting down some really good #'s and strong trq outputs. You can check them on
http://www.vincihighperformance.com/