Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help removing dual springs ASAP!!

Old 04-12-2003, 05:55 PM
Back in the staging lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help removing dual springs ASAP!!

(1)I want to check the valve seals. I have an air hose in the spark plug hole blowing air to keep the valve up. However, it sounds like air is coming out somewhere. I have all the rockers off so it isn't out of the other valve. Air is escaping somewhere because the compressor comes back on after a few minutes. I am pushing about 90 lbs of air into the cylinder but tried it down to 10 lbs and you could still hear air coming out somewhere. I couldn't feel anything though.

(2)How do you remove double springs. I have a spring compress but I can only hook it onto the outside spring so the inside one stays where it is so I can't get it off. What's the trick? Edit....Also, the spring compressor isn't quite long enough to grab the bottom of the spring so I had to grab the layer just above that. That may be why. Do you have to grab the bottom of it? Thanks!!!!!

Jeff

<small>[ April 12, 2003, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: Beeler311 ]</small>
Old 04-12-2003, 07:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Need help removing dual springs ASAP!!

if you use a lever one, liek the more performance tool or the regular spring compressors that push down on the reainter youll be fine. The ones that grab the spring coils wont get the inner spring. Make sure the air hsoe is threaded fully Jeff. If it is, then either your rings are gone or your valve arent sealing.
Old 04-13-2003, 06:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Need help removing dual springs ASAP!!

don't worry about the air, it's just going though the end gap in the rings. When i changed mine it did that, and I know there is nothing wrong with my motor.

Ditto what granny said on the spring compressor, the one that grab the coils wont work. You will need a lever type one.

Search this Thread