Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS-1 Heads 853 vs 241 castings

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS-1 Heads 853 vs 241 castings

I have a 2000 WS-6 M6 with a TR224 cam, LS6 intake, Hooker LT's,Offroad Y-pipe, Borla Cat Back, G2 Airlid, Ported TB, Spohn LCA's, Spec Stage 1 w/aluminum Flywheel, Stock 10 bolt 3:42's, Comp Cam Springs, Pushrods, and Retainers, Heads are stock 853's.
Dyno numbers are 368rwhp 347rwtq Figured would be higher across the board.

Dont have the money to buy new heads but wondering if I bought a set of 241 casting heads $200.00 and had them CNC ported would I have a better result than having the 853's ported?

Would consider Patriot heads but have heard good and bad things about them.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:42 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

once ported the differences through the different castings are minimal.

are you basing your PP info on the old problems? i've yet to hear any new ones since they've undergone some changes. if your worried about valves you can upgrade to ferrea or manley's for 100 bucks.

but before you drop money on heads i'd find out your current problem. are you tuned, what was the AFR, ect.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jrp
once ported the differences through the different castings are minimal.

are you basing your PP info on the old problems? i've yet to hear any new ones since they've undergone some changes. if your worried about valves you can upgrade to ferrea or manley's for 100 bucks.

but before you drop money on heads i'd find out your current problem. are you tuned, what was the AFR, ect.
I have the money to get the car Tuned if I put Stock ported Heads. I bought the car a little over a year ago and What I have done to it is Clutch and Flywheel and LCA's. Bought the car with all the other mods. I have reciepts from AMS showing that the car was tuned on August 2002 when the other mods were installed. Only thing that was changed after the tune that I didnt do was the Ported TB.

About 7 months ago the car has started dying at startup (surging) even when car is warm. If I have the A/C on you can forget it. Is it common for a car to start having this problem? There is no SES light. Run a scan and every now and then it has a knock sensor code.

Kind of a newbie what do you mean by AFR?
Old 12-02-2004, 10:32 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SpankysWS6
I have the money to get the car Tuned if I put Stock ported Heads. I bought the car a little over a year ago and What I have done to it is Clutch and Flywheel and LCA's. Bought the car with all the other mods. I have reciepts from AMS showing that the car was tuned on August 2002 when the other mods were installed. Only thing that was changed after the tune that I didnt do was the Ported TB.

About 7 months ago the car has started dying at startup (surging) even when car is warm. If I have the A/C on you can forget it. Is it common for a car to start having this problem? There is no SES light. Run a scan and every now and then it has a knock sensor code.

Kind of a newbie what do you mean by AFR?
Seems to me like you have a few tuning issues to address. I would bring to the most rebutable tuner in you area. however there are alot of things to consider. How many miles does it have. if you have too much KR, the computer is pulling timing and could be affecting your performance. AFR is Air Fuel Ratio. It is a number that shows how many parts air per 1 part fuel you car is burning. So basically the higher the number the more air hense lean. The lower the number less air more fuel, hense rich. Trust me, get it retuned you will pick up a ton. I picked up 20+rwhp from one tune to another. First one was crap car felt like a mustang. Also the reason you have no SES light is because when you intall a cam, most of the codes are deleted. If anything you may need a couple new o2 sensors and a tune.
Old 12-02-2004, 10:36 PM
11 Second Club

i was wondering that too about the heads. i bought some 853's to port and have ready so i can do h/c in one day. then i am giong to sell my 241's.
Old 12-03-2004, 08:33 AM
Teching In

I am from Fort Worth, Texas. I have heard there are some good shops around here.. MTI is about 3 hours away. Lg Motorsports is about and 1 hour. I will contact one of them and meetup and talk about what the issue is. Thanks for the info. Been a Great Help..
My goal is 420+ on a H/C stock 346 bottom..
Old 12-03-2004, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

forgive my ignorance...but what is the difference between the two casting heads?? theyre both 5.7l LS1 heads correct....and i know the perimeter bolt heads were 806's i believe?? Just wondering, didnt mean to highjack the thread
Old 12-03-2004, 07:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BRIAN98Z28
forgive my ignorance...but what is the difference between the two casting heads?? theyre both 5.7l LS1 heads correct....and i know the perimeter bolt heads were 806's i believe?? Just wondering, didnt mean to highjack the thread
Would like to know myself.. Have heard from a couple guys the 241 casting is a better head..
Old 12-03-2004, 07:26 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BRIAN98Z28
stock for stock the 241 heads are ~ 5-8cfm difference from 806 heads. 853's fall in the middle. when ported there all on the same playing field and it comes down to the porter rather then casting.
Old 12-04-2004, 08:39 AM
TECH Addict

Adding to jrp is that the 241s are die cast and the 853s are sand cast. The reason the 241s flow better stock for stock is the die casting leaves a smoother surface compared to the older sand casting method. Definately a tuning deal, that cam should handle idleing and a/c use with ease.

Quick Reply: LS-1 Heads 853 vs 241 castings