Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cam tuning

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 01:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cam tuning

Well, I decided to go with the hotcam. I was going to go with the GMPP ASA cam(226/236 .525/.525 110 lsa) but my wife does drive the car sometimes, and I don't think she would like that right now. I may get it eventually, but our current situation won't allow it. If I were to get tuning done with the Hotcam, will I need any serious further tuning if I decided to throw in the above mentioned ASA cam or even something like the TSP torquer or any of the popular cams out there when I decide to go to a different cam? I am installing CM pushrods and comp 918s with the hotcam so no more internal work up ahead. I will be doing the cam swap(cam itself, anyway) myself, so money isn't the issue.
I chose the hotcam cause I'm still running on my 2.73's, and I do not want to change out the gears cause I just KNOW I will bust my 10 bolt and feel it is just money down the drain. And I'd rather just save up for the moser, but I'd like to have a cam in the meantime.
Basically, once tuning is done on one cam, is it interchangeable with other cams that are not radically different from one another? Thnx
Old 12-15-2004, 03:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like no one wanted to answer this one.
Yes you need to change the tune with cam change. Timing and fuel mixture needs will not be the same even for similar cams. The motor will run but will run much better with the right tune. Those 918's have a short life as they are stiff and made for a more radical cam. The LS6 springs that come with the Hotcam will last forever. If I were you I would use the springs that cam with the cam. Just my 2 cents.