Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 04:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strange Noise?

Got a 2000 SS that is bone stock and noticed about 2 weeks ago when I start it up when its cold it has this high pitch churping sound. Kinda sounds like pulley bearings. But what gets me is that it stops after about 10 minutes of driving. Anyone have any thoughts on what this noise could be? Also if I been driving for awhile then turn the car off and start it again it doesn't do it. It's only when its been sitting for awhile. It also gets louder on cold starts if I rev it. I had the car for about 6 months with no problems and just trying to figure this one out. Thanks in advance!
Old 12-07-2004, 06:14 PM
Banned

Lightbulb

Nice ride, let's see if any of this will help you out. My friend had the same thing happen to his "98 Z. It first started when he overfilled the power steering fluid. It overflowed when it got hot and spilled on his belt and made a squaling noise. We took out the extra fluid and it stayed with the same chirping senario that you are describing. I changed his power steering pump for him and .. MAGIC!!! Problem fixed. Good luck!!
Old 12-07-2004, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

First just try some belt dressing so you can determine if you need a new belt. If the noise goes away with the belt dressing, then you know the problem!
Old 12-07-2004, 10:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by luv2spd
First just try some belt dressing so you can determine if you need a new belt. If the noise goes away with the belt dressing, then you know the problem!
What he said and theres a pulley I dont remember which one small one you can take off and clean and grease the shaft it rides on.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:06 PM
11 Second Truck Club

My car did the same thing last year when I lived up north. It only did it when below 40 degrees or so. Since then I've moved to warmer weather and swapped pulley and belts. It's probobly either one of the two. Or you could move farther south.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:15 PM
Launching!

my belt tensioner pulley does exactly what your talkin about. a little wd-40 does wonders.