Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torquer CAM

Old 12-07-2004, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking Torquer CAM

Do you need to degree a cam during a install? If you use a stock timing chain or a non-adjustable one how would you degree a cam in. The LS1 Cam Installation I have does not degree the cam.
Can I keep the stock chain until I can save more money or should I just wait until I have the money? I wanted a pulley also but wanted to wait until I get the money saved.
Bill
Old 12-07-2004, 06:49 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

save the money and get a new timing chain
Old 12-07-2004, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Either do the chain when you do the install or don't do it. Most people recommend changing it for a stronger one. I doubt you'd wanna tear it all down again after you've saved $100 just to put in the new chain. It's much better to do it at the same time.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:36 PM
12 Second Club

From what I've seen most people recomend going ahead and getting a new chain and upgrading, as well as get one of the Ls6 oil pumps while you're there. On your question of degreeing a cam. If you keep the stock timing gear it's pretty straight forward, just align the dots. Truely degreeing a cam means you place a degree wheel on your crank and use a dial indicator to set your cam timing off of your No. 1 piston being at TDC. In a lot of instances, you can play with cam timing and greatly change where an engine makes peak power. However with a non-adjustable timing gear set up, there is no way to make minor adjustments. One tooth is really too far to go in adjustment and that would be the only method of adjustment we have from the factory.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:01 PM
11 Second Truck Club

In my case I only had 25k miles on my car when I swapped in a cam. Plus, it wasn't a big cam either and I just decided to do the timing chain when I went bigger cam and better heads. But, I really like this cam so probobly should have then.
Old 12-08-2004, 09:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by 01SSRMS
From what I've seen most people recomend going ahead and getting a new chain and upgrading, as well as get one of the Ls6 oil pumps while you're there. On your question of degreeing a cam. If you keep the stock timing gear it's pretty straight forward, just align the dots. Truely degreeing a cam means you place a degree wheel on your crank and use a dial indicator to set your cam timing off of your No. 1 piston being at TDC. In a lot of instances, you can play with cam timing and greatly change where an engine makes peak power. However with a non-adjustable timing gear set up, there is no way to make minor adjustments. One tooth is really too far to go in adjustment and that would be the only method of adjustment we have from the factory.
When I buy a chain should I get an adjustable one so I could degree the cam?
Thanks,
Bill
Old 12-08-2004, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The TSP cams are cam doctored by TSP to ensure accuracy of grind last I heard so I would not worry about it. By a roller chain that will work with the stock gears as I did and save the extra $.

Search this Thread