Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Post Head Install Issues...NEED HELP

Old 12-11-2004, 09:48 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Post Head Install Issues...NEED HELP

While I'm in Afghanistan, my buddy put a set of PP 5.3L heads on my car, heads were milled .010" and checked by a competent machine shop and were good. New PP Gold Springs installed etc... He used Cometic gaskets with a installed height of .064", making up for the mill, and my cam was already in, TSP 231/237 @ 112*, as well as the pushrods and LS6 Intake.
After first start up, it was doing fine, then he went to drive it, and it started bucking, and stalling. Threw a code, Lean on Bank 1, so he took it home and emailed me. I suggested trying to tighten the header gaskets, or replace them, as well as checking the collector band clamp, and any other exhaust area for leaks. As well, he was unable to get Edit to connect, which shows my VIN but says it's not licensed to it.
This weekend he went and started it, and now he says it running rich as ****, blowing out black soot onto the driveway?
I was thinking if the exhaust wasnt leaking, then it would be time to check the intake for leaks using propane, as well as anything POST-MAF. But now its running rich! Not sure whats up, but need to figure this one out.
So here is my compiled list of things to check:
Intake leak
Exhaust leak
O'2 sensors
Dirty MAF

The fuel filter was changed shortly before i left 8 months ago, and I always use the same gas station never any problems there. Walbro 340 no problems. Descreened Stock MAF never had any problems and stock TB never any problems. The cam should have plenty of clearance using the thicker cometics, springs are all good, pushrods are good and rockers are good. I am not good, LOST. Sucks me not being there, as its so much easier to troubleshoot and fix in person.

TIA,
Charlie
Old 12-12-2004, 12:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

humm, check to see if any of the o2 or the computers wiring harnesses are damaged. when people burn the 02 wires on headers, it can cause similar problems
Old 12-12-2004, 04:19 AM
Restricted User

Will have him do!

Anyone else?????
Old 12-13-2004, 09:17 PM
Restricted User

anyone else?

Search this Thread