Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which special MTIs or ls1 speed

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 01:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default which special MTIs or ls1 speed

Both of these are great deals but I dont know which i want. Mti has a great rep. but which will get me more hp/tq and reliability. Also, how much extra hp might i expect scince i Already have a fairily decent dyno # now. 342 rwhp and 348tq. I have just a lid, filter flowmaster catback,and hooker headers with no cats. Im just scared of being one of those angry people who come out with about 380/375. please anyone with first hand chime in.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

What is the special???
Old 12-12-2004, 01:27 AM
On The Tree

oops mti 2e with cam and everything to install for 1990.00 or the pp ls6 assy for 1270.00 or somthin close like that
Old 12-12-2004, 01:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I would take MTI heads over Patriots in a blink of an eye. The 2E's are one of the best quality head deals around and MTI stands up for their product, super customer service.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

Go with MTI
Old 12-12-2004, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
I would take MTI heads over Patriots in a blink of an eye. The 2E's are one of the best quality head deals around and MTI stands up for their product, super customer service.

Patriot Performance has definitely had issues in the past with quality. The popular opinion is that they are trying to make a come back and have addressed the quality issues of the past. Still a gamble....

Given your current rwhp I am sure you will be well over 400rwhp with either.

I just purchased and installed my H/C in the last month. I got it from MTI. To be 100% honest with you once they got my money I could not get the time of day from them. When I called trying to get help/advice with my low rwhp numbers they did not want to talk with me other than to say my 412rwhp was low and it should have been 425ish. I produced 312 bone stock, something is wrong here. They kept me on hold, would take my phone number and never call back and would not return emails.

Some people have had good experiences with MTI. I have not, nor was their "vaunted" customer service experienced by me. I KNOW first hand it is tempting and easy to take the bargain deal. Do yourself the justice of at least looking at an AFR H/C system from TSP or LG.

I think a lot of forum members have had not so good experiences with other vendors. I guess our egos keep us from admitting it, not wanting to admit we got the wrong end of the stick. Of course the vendor cheerleaders will always show up with their flamethrowers to beat down any complaint....

Honesty hurts... (where did I put my flame suit???)

Good Luck, and please look around before you buy...

Last edited by SideStep; 12-12-2004 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Sidestep - that sucks. You should be making more hp. Who did your tune? Have you been able to talk to Jason?
Old 12-13-2004, 01:40 AM
On The Tree

thanks sidestep thats kinda what i was wondering. I guess that is somthing that ill find out. Im probably gonna call mti first before i buy anything. My measly 2000 dollar h/c kit isnt as involved as 422 stroker but Id still like to be able to speak to people if i neeed help. Im in NY so i cant just stop by and ask. Also for you or anyone else how much do you think id have to pay them for an install and tuning?
Old 12-13-2004, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blazeone
Sidestep - that sucks. You should be making more hp. Who did your tune? Have you been able to talk to Jason?
Hey Blaze

I did my own tuning listed below:

- 28-29 degrees timing at WOT from 5000 rpm and up, a little more timing below that...
- 13.5 to 1 AFR from 2000-3600rpm at WOT
- 13.0 to 1 AFR from 3600-6800rpm at WOT
- NO KR logged any where...
- LTFTs locked themselves to zero for any WOT

The day of the dyno ambient temps were low 60s and my IATs were in the low 70s

Gave up on getting Jason, got the run-around so much after I had installed everthing by Steve or Chris, they are who usally answer the phones... I tried to get advice from them on missing HP and maybe shaving the heads to get to a static of 11 to 1, but they wanted nothing to do with it (I guess they have had some bad experiences with shaving their heads) and then the run-around began in earnest.

I know several of you guys got great results and I am happy for you... Hell your results were the ones that pushed me towards MTI instead of an AFR package.

The point of me posting this stuff is really not about missing 15 HP anymore. It is about the terrible customer service I got once they had my money.... I did not want to return anything, I was willing to make further purchases based on their advice. I even tried to get a quote on a 382.... no reply....
Old 12-13-2004, 08:59 AM
6 Second Club Moderator

Speed inc did my first set up. I just told them I wanted a driver with more power. Well the result was 418 hp. Street maners were like stock. Power was great. They set me up with true dual exhaust so it sounded MEAN! It was a nice combo, since then I've lost my mind... The price the best part, they didn't try to spend every penny I had. Good luck, Andy.