Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with tick

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 05:17 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with tick

I need some advice on my tick I have done the search thing and no help.
I have a very pronounced tick from 2000 rpm's to 2500 rpm's coming form the drivers side. after 2500 i cant hear it over the exhaust and other motor noise. Like I said ive done the search thing and come up with exhaust leak,o-ring,lifter,push-rod,rocker,broke valve spring,and ls1's noisy valvetrain. I need some help sorting tru it all I don't have headers but have black soot over 2 exhaust ports on the driverside manifold. So i know i have a small leak there i just dont think it could be as loud as the tick gets or be so rpm specific I would think if it was the leak it would get louder all the way thu the rpm band. I got new manifold gaskets already but havent had time to change it yet and dont want to waste the time if i need to be digging into the motor. also the motor is running as good as ever.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 98_blk_Hawk
I need some advice on my tick I have done the search thing and no help.
I have a very pronounced tick from 2000 rpm's to 2500 rpm's coming form the drivers side. after 2500 i cant hear it over the exhaust and other motor noise. Like I said ive done the search thing and come up with exhaust leak,o-ring,lifter,push-rod,rocker,broke valve spring,and ls1's noisy valvetrain. I need some help sorting tru it all I don't have headers but have black soot over 2 exhaust ports on the driverside manifold. So i know i have a small leak there i just dont think it could be as loud as the tick gets or be so rpm specific I would think if it was the leak it would get louder all the way thu the rpm band. I got new manifold gaskets already but havent had time to change it yet and dont want to waste the time if i need to be digging into the motor. also the motor is running as good as ever.
Check your headers...Mine had a very small hole in it and it was making a ticking sound every time i hit the acclerator.
Old 12-13-2004, 05:58 PM
TECH Junkie

well, since you have an exhaust leak you will not be able to guess whether its anything else until you rule the exhaust leak out. im guessign here, but i have a feeling its an exhaust leak. i had one after doing headers on my car and it as a lot louder than what i expected an exhaust leak to sound like. good luck!
-turo
Old 12-14-2004, 04:09 PM
Staging Lane

ttt..