Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone adjust cam timing on stock cam before?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 01:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anyone adjust cam timing on stock cam before?

First of all...i know next to nothing about ls1 engines...so just keep that in mind. i picked up my 99 and havent touched a thing on the motor yet. Im pretty heavy into racing fords. sorry

anyways...in nmra racing theres a couple classes that make you retain the stock cam. so we move em around to see where the best power is. these engines are making incredible power with the stock cams....and some are timed quite far from the stock location.

just wondering if anyone has ever tried moving the cam around. might be a stupid question...you guys probably just install a better cam instead of messing around with the the stock one...i just like getting more out of having less i guess. thanks

Last edited by slow3hoe2; 12-15-2004 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-15-2004, 04:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TTT

I suppose it could be useful for moving the powerband around, and maybe worthwhile if you are pulley the balancer off for a swap anyways... I would like to hear any comments too.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Digging this one up in search of more answers. Putting an adjustable timing set on my stock H/C LS2...
Old 03-11-2009, 07:18 PM
11 Second Club

I would imagine that it would only be minimal at best. Free bump for ya
Old 03-11-2009, 08:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slow3hoe2
anyways...in nmra racing theres a couple classes that make you retain the stock cam.
I know there are some classes with stock "Lift" rules on the cam. Ive seen cars running 10.50s on non ported stock heads(but greatly changed valve seat angles), stock unported intakes, etc... and have a cam with .500"

BUT they only measure .500" lift statically because they are purposefully launching the cam off the end of the nose up to around the .600" lift mark and catching it on the way back down.

Comp actually has a series of cams called the "launcher" series I think, I don't think they are LS lobes...
Old 03-12-2009, 12:04 AM
On The Tree

^If I'm understanding you right, I'm having a REAL hard time believing that. It's basically precisely engineered valve float? "Catching" the valve sounds like it would be pretty damaging, like you'd have to change the cam and/or valvetrain out after a handful of runs. Nuts...but it's always cool to hear the unconventional and downright sneaky tricks used by guys in heavily restricted classes of all kinds of racing.

I'm not expecting a huge gain with this, but I'm doing an underdrive pulley and figured I would do the rest of the internal stuff while I'm at it, and be well-prepared for a cam swap down the road (2-piece timing cover, also). Would be nice to know if there were a sweet spot to degree to. Imports commonly put adjustable gears on stock cams, and I know Supras (I'm most familiar with them) are known to gain 10-15WHP from finding that sweet spot, but I couldn't find anyone trying it on an LS.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:15 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Troux
^If I'm understanding you right, I'm having a REAL hard time believing that.
I 100% promise you thats exactly what they are doing, no doubt about it. You have to overcome rule limitations somehow, and if they can only measure lift statically then you have to make lift on your own.

Its really not that hard, the design a cam with a agressive opening ramp and basically chop off the top at whatever lift they need, then have it come back together on the closing ramp. They just use a spintron and various valve springs to find out which combination works.
Old 03-12-2009, 03:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Troux
^If I'm understanding you right, I'm having a REAL hard time believing that. It's basically precisely engineered valve float? "Catching" the valve sounds like it would be pretty damaging, like you'd have to change the cam and/or valvetrain out after a handful of runs. .
I think valve float is something else altogether.

This, as I see it is "lofting" where the pushrod bends under load and then straightens which is transmitted through to the valve.

There was a tech write-up about this by David Vizard (and others, no doubt).