Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you replace the lifters if installing this cam?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2004, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you replace the lifters if installing this cam?

I am planning on installing either the TSP 233/239 or the TSP Magic Stick in my LS6 this spring. I'm going to use the PRC valve spring set, hardened push rods, db roller timing chain, etc and was wondering if I should go ahead and change the lifters while I'm at it. I'm thinking that if I have to pull the heads to do the lifters I will have the heads ported and polished as well.

The engine has 1500 miles on it now and will have about 5000 miles on it when I do this. This motor will see limited track use (maybe 30 hard passes per year) and lots of "spirited" street highway driving as well as just normal daily driving. Would you or do have to change the lifters and if so which ones do you recommend?

Thanks for your input!!!!!!!!
Old 12-17-2004, 11:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

do you NEED to replace the lifters, definitely not ... SHOULD you?, if you got the extra money to throw around why not ... port and polishin the heads definitely wouldn't hurt, but i'd be careful bout pvc

btw i'd recommend morel lifters if you do plan on replacing them

good luck to ya and let us know how everything turns out
Old 12-17-2004, 11:51 PM
TECH Resident

I wouldnt do it unless your pulling the heads. I run comp lifters.
Old 12-17-2004, 11:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by madpwr1
do you NEED to replace the lifters, definitely not ... SHOULD you?, if you got the extra money to throw around why not ... port and polishin the heads definitely wouldn't hurt, but i'd be careful bout pvc

btw i'd recommend morel lifters if you do plan on replacing them

good luck to ya and let us know how everything turns out
Thanks for the input..careful about pvc? Do you mean the PCS package? Why, out of curiousity?

I don't have the money to just throw around so when I do this I want to make sure its done right the first time and not have to go fishing for lifter needle bearings later down the road because I should have given the lift on one of these two cams or something. Spending this kind of money means doing it right the first time to me!

Thanks
Old 12-18-2004, 12:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

i actually have no idea what a "PCS" package is, isn't that related to sprint cell phones or something?

anyway, by pvc i meant Piston to Valve Clearance, with a bigger cam and gettin the heads milled and using bigger valves you'll want to make sure there is enough clearance so that you're not smackin pistons and valves together ... you can use the search button to probably find out more info bout this

but like crazyman said if you're not pullin off the heads don't even worry bout the lifters
Old 12-18-2004, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by madpwr1
i actually have no idea what a "PCS" package is, isn't that related to sprint cell phones or something?

anyway, by pvc i meant Piston to Valve Clearance, with a bigger cam and gettin the heads milled and using bigger valves you'll want to make sure there is enough clearance so that you're not smackin pistons and valves together ... you can use the search button to probably find out more info bout this

but like crazyman said if you're not pullin off the heads don't even worry bout the lifters
Cool, thanks. I meant PRC not PRS, PRC would be the Precision Race Companents Valve Spring package that I believe includes double valve springs, not the phone service! I wasn't going to get the heads milled down at all, just cleaned up with a nice polish and port job. I definietly don't want to have valves smacking pistons!!

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions...I sincerely appreciate it!!!

Last edited by Joker; 12-18-2004 at 12:30 AM.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

I recommend that you have a professional shop install your cam, so they will degree the cam and adjust preload on the lifters. I brief, all the tolerances are up to specs, then I would say no need for other lifters.
It's a matter of valve geometry. If done correctly a lot of parts will live longer. Not to mention that it also means you'll will harvest all the available power it can produce.
Old 12-18-2004, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PREDATOR-Z
I recommend that you have a professional shop install your cam, so they will degree the cam and adjust preload on the lifters. I brief, all the tolerances are up to specs, then I would say no need for other lifters.
It's a matter of valve geometry. If done correctly a lot of parts will live longer. Not to mention that it also means you'll will harvest all the available power it can produce.
Good advice, I have Texas Speed do all of the work on my car as while I know a fair amount about cars and can do alot of things myself, I am not experienced enough to do something like this myself yet. So when I wrote that "I" was going to do it, I was meaning that I would have a more experienced professional do the work. I'll spend the time to observe the swap and assist so that I learn how to do this myself in the future.
Old 12-18-2004, 08:40 PM
TECH Resident

Even if you dont have any problems or anything with your current lifters, I would replace them anyway. It is better to do so while you have the heads off the first time, rather than going back through it all again.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 02Reaper
Even if you dont have any problems or anything with your current lifters, I would replace them anyway. It is better to do so while you have the heads off the first time, rather than going back through it all again.
He is doing cam swap not H/C.