Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will my LS1 get any problems by not driving it for a long period of time?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Will my LS1 get any problems by not driving it for a long period of time?

For the last several weeks, I've been driving my '88 Mustang GT in the weekdays and my '02 Z28 only in the weekends. It has been cold out there and I'm just not sure if the LS1 can be parked outside in my driveway for that long period of time and not get any problems. Is there a possibility that water might somehow accumulate in the oil pan and/or the fuel tank and, therefore, ruin my engine? or could there be other bad reasons why I shouldn't park my car outside in any weather for at least every 5 days? (I've been keeping it parked, because I have around 47,000 miles, my extended powertrain warranty expires at 50,000, and I've only just begun taking the car to the dragstrip.)
Old 12-18-2004, 10:09 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by damon_Z
For the last several weeks, I've been driving my '88 Mustang GT in the weekdays and my '02 Z28 only in the weekends. It has been cold out there and I'm just not sure if the LS1 can be parked outside in my driveway for that long period of time and not get any problems. Is there a possibility that water might somehow accumulate in the oil pan and/or the fuel tank and, therefore, ruin my engine? or could there be other bad reasons why I shouldn't park my car outside in any weather for at least every 5 days? (I've been keeping it parked, because I have around 47,000 miles, my extended powertrain warranty expires at 50,000, and I've only just begun taking the car to the dragstrip.)
Only 5 days isn't going to hurt anything. I live in a cold climate & when we are going to store any motorized vehicle for months we make sure the gas tank is full and treated with Stabil. Make sure to run the vehicle until the stabil has time to get into the injectors/carb. This prevents the gas from gumming up any internal parts. I usually start the vehicles once a month as well.
Old 12-19-2004, 09:25 AM
TECH Veteran

My car has gone much longer than that sitting without being driven becaus we were installing parts or waiting for something else. Just start it up and let it run for a while before you go driving it around.
Old 12-19-2004, 12:27 PM
TECH Addict

6 months and the only thing that happened was the battery wouldnt charge
Old 12-19-2004, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

If the lifters are a little worn, they may tick at startup for a second until building up pressure if you leave a car sitting for more than 3 weeks or so. In my case, I'm referring to my 150k Grand Cherokee with the 318 I'm trying to sell. However, it doesn't always do this.

Jason