Sponsored by:

installing cam soon help me finalize things please

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2004, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default installing cam soon help me finalize things please

few questions im about to do heads and cam myself

1) degreeing tool, what is this needed for? i know its to degre the cam but what if im going to install the cam with no advance or retard. someone explain this please.

2) im doing oil pump and timing chain, thinking about double roller or ls2 any opinions here? and if i go double will i have issues with my march pulley? and shimming the pump is that an easy task?

3) 50K miles on the car should i get new stock lifters?

4) checking PTV clearance, is this necessary? i have an F13 cam and im installing AFR heads which give more clearance. F13 has .07" on a head milled .03" i think Allan said

5) i keep hearing about checking lash and this and that about it, what in the hell is lash haha i have yet to find an answer so can someone please tell me and why i need to be concerned with it?

6) someone also talked about having picks, whats that? just like one of those hook things they use at the dentist?! lol

its about 2 month away from happening prob (once i can afford the heads) so i want to make sure i have every possible thing i need or would want to do right now i have

-cam
-springs
-seats
-seals
-retainers
-pushrods
-pulley
-getting fuel pump and wiring
-TB
-install kit
-timing chain when i can decied on one so help me please
-ls6 ported oil pump
-AFR heads

let me know what else to think of...
Old 12-19-2004, 08:28 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like you should have everything
1- dont worry bout this as your just gonna go dot to dot
2- you can go double or ls2 either will work alothough the ls2 wont have to be shimmed and work better with the march pulley . the one experince ive had with the march was that it did go to deep when we had the double chainand spaers on. nothing a slight mill of it couldnt fix but just an extra step
3- stock will be fine
4- you should clear just fine and stock lenth rods
5- probbly refering to valve lash , stock rockers just torque to 24ftlbs and your all set but with the afr heads make sure to put some thread sealent on the studs for the intake rockers
6-picks im not to sure . maybe pen magnets or something to help hold the lifters? you can use 8 pen magnets, a couple small rods threw the front of the motor or just swap the cams quickly not something id leave over night with the cam out and nothing holding the lifters

also you getiing stripped afr's? they will come with springs, retainer's, seats and seals
Old 12-19-2004, 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for the reply. im lookin into the afr's now. i have all the valve train stuff. i was going to do the cam first and then i was gonna go heads later down the road but i would rather just do one big job instead of 2