Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you recommend a book?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can you recommend a book?

LS1/LS6 are new to me. I am considering a engine swap into my '53 Studebaker. What book(s) would you recommend as a good foundation of knowledge on how these engines work and what steps to take to work on them and improve performance? I've seen a couple different ones on EBay and other places on the web.

Thanks in advance

Pat
Old 12-22-2004, 09:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu Cool
LS1/LS6 are new to me. I am considering a engine swap into my '53 Studebaker. What book(s) would you recommend as a good foundation of knowledge on how these engines work and what steps to take to work on them and improve performance? I've seen a couple different ones on EBay and other places on the web.

Thanks in advance

Pat

"Corvette Fuel Injection & Electronic Engine Management" by Charles O. Probst

"How To Build High-Performance Chevy LS1/LS6 V-8s: Modifying and Tuning Gen III Engines for GM Cars & Pickups" by WILL HANDZEL

"Chevy Ls1/Ls6 Performance" by Christopher P. Endres

A few subscriptions would help as well:
GM high Tech and High Performance
Popular Hot Rodding
HOT ROD

good luck
Old 12-22-2004, 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu Cool

Thanks in advance

Pat
First I'd recommend is the Helms manual for whatever year/make car you get your LS1 powertrain from.

www.helminc.com

The set for my '01 donor was 3 volumes, everything from error codes to engine disassembly/reassembly procedures, torque specs, detailed wiring diagrams, etc.

It's kinda painful reading the Conversions & Hybrids forum with guys begging for this info, when it's all right there for between $80-$120. Spend thousands on the car and donor powertrain, then cheap out on tools and information. I don't get it.

Good luck.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:21 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I forgot about the Helms Manuals.Good call crainholio. I'd definitely recommend them as well.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cheatin' Chad
"How To Build High-Performance Chevy LS1/LS6 V-8s: Modifying and Tuning Gen III Engines for GM Cars & Pickups" by WILL HANDZEL
yea, that was a pretty good read.

i liked how he goes and asks the GM engineers WHY its the way it is, before he tells you what to do for performance..

good example: MAF screen... he goes and finds that GM has it there to straighten the air going over the MAF.... most other books just tell you to yank it out.
because of knowing the WHY, you can make a inteligent choice.. for example in a diablo conversion where the air is still a short, straight shot, you can descreen it... but in a tighter engine bay, where you may have a few turns in a CAI, you might want to leave the screen to straighten the airflow over the MAF....

im currently looking for more books on the WHY and less on the HOW... most genIII books ive seen so far tell you nothing more then what you can read online....
Old 12-22-2004, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks folks, I just ordered the books from Handzel and Endres from Amazon. I will study them and once I find a motor and decide exactly what I plan to do I will look into the Helms manuals. This is all new to me, been a SBC, BBC carb guy for a long time. I'm excited!

Pat
Old 12-22-2004, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

The GEN III motors are great performers that are easy to work on and modify once you know what you are doing.

Good luck with your project and don't hesitate to ask if you need help.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDude_1

im currently looking for more books on the WHY and less on the HOW... most genIII books ive seen so far tell you nothing more then what you can read online....
Then you'll love the SAE paper...

http://www.sae.org/servlets/productD...PROD_CD=970915

$10 online and you can download it as a PDF. It talks in good detail about the design and validation processes, the decisions the team had to make, etc.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received the books from Handzel and Endres yesterday. Got about 40 pages into Handzel's last night. Great reading about the history and development that went into the Gen III motors. Now it is getting into recommendations on good combinations of factory parts. Thanks again for the suggestions, Amazon had a package deal with free shipping. Way cheaper than buying them on EBay.

Maybe add suggested books to the FAQ? Will save folks a lot of research

Pat
Old 12-29-2004, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by crainholio
Then you'll love the SAE paper...

http://www.sae.org/servlets/productD...PROD_CD=970915

$10 online and you can download it as a PDF. It talks in good detail about the design and validation processes, the decisions the team had to make, etc.
Thanks for the tip on the SAE website, I just joined and downloaded the paper...