Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

getting a cam...

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default getting a cam...

just wanna make sure i've got everything. i was thinking....

spring kit
pushrods
torquer cam
timing chain

and maybe an asp pully? i havent decided on that one yet.

anything else i might want to get? i have a ton of oil pressure and not alot of money to spend so i'm not gonna get an oil pump, un;ess yall think i'll really need one. anything else i might need?
Old 12-23-2004, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

might as well do the oil pump while you got everything off.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:06 AM
TECH Resident

don't think you'll need a new oil pump. you might want to go ahead and get the ASP pulley. i reused my stock crank pulley and it was a huge pita to get it back in. extra keepers would also be benifitial since you or whoever installs you cam may lose a couple.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:10 AM
Launching!

When looking into getting a cam...checkout the venders....I've noticed good package deals on the cam, valve train...parts/springs/retainers/pushrods etc. And if you are looking at that you may want to find out what type of deal they can make for you if you get oil pump/pick up o'ring and crank pulley. Shop around.....I wish I waited til christmas before I got mine back together.....I would of saved a few $$$$'s.... Vender to the right---->
Old 12-23-2004, 12:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

the ported oil pump is not about pressure its about volume and flow
they flow better and are bluprinted so you know they are less likely to fail
if your going in there you might as well do it since your doing a timeing chain you ahve to take the pump off anyway

get the asp pulley since its gotta come off anyway, no one sould ever put the stock one back on IMO

get the PRC gold spring kit with ti-retainers from tsp for i think around 280
change that torquer cam to a f13 and your all set
Old 12-23-2004, 12:18 AM
Launching!

i would definately get an asp pulley if your going to all the trouble to put a cam in and already have the crank pulley off it would be wise to get an asp. plus it will make 7-10 rwhp on tne dyno. it will be something you wish you did later on when you dyno the car.
Old 12-23-2004, 12:59 AM
TECH Addict

definitely do the pulley while ur in there.....u will kick urself later if u dont. dont need the oil pump...i believe u already have an ls6 oil pump and it doesnt look like u have too many miles on your car since its an 01
Old 12-23-2004, 01:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Get a pulley. I would go out and get a couple of Keepers. I know i dropped a couple of them. They did not go in the motor but down the K member never to be found again. When installing the Keys or keepers or locks what ever you want to call them. Use some realy realy thick greas. This will help to slick them to the vavle.
Old 12-23-2004, 02:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

well i'm getting TSP's prc kit, it comes with everything for the valve train, which is on sale as long as you buy a cam aswell. i already decided on the torquer, as its more of a street car than a track car. I've got a big magnet for the keepers, i've heard that works best? i figured i might aswell do an asp pully, maybe an oil pump (depending on my paycheck tomarrow). anything else?
Old 12-23-2004, 02:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

also, to get the pully off dont i need some sort of tool that i can rent from autozone? any other tools i'll need? (besides spring compressor and jpr tool?)
Old 12-23-2004, 08:48 PM
TECH Addict

u need a pulley puller....the three arm tool will suffice.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

make sure you have a GOOD pulley puller...me and a friend broke one during my cam swap. I highly suggest the ASP pulley, its much easier to get back on vs. the stock pulley. Get some pen magnets for those lifters and you can make a Lifter tool using 5/16" rods i believe...might wanna do a search. You sure dont want to drop a lifter!
Old 12-24-2004, 12:36 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will want to rent a 3 jaw pulley puller from autozone. Also, get a longer crank bolt! You can do a search there are several options but the stock crank bolt just isn't long enough to get the pulley on/off. 120mm long X 16 mm X 2 mm pitch. Or you can get a threaded rod with a nut/washer. Trust me, you will be glad you have it!