Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2004, 05:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam swap

Is it true that ls1 engines have some type of tab that will hold the lifter in place that you could pull the pushrods, rotate the engine, getting all the lifters up, and pull out the cam without removing the intake. I heard this the other day, and I though it was unlikely. If its true I will say that chevy is got some kickass engineering.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Redrooster
Is it true that ls1 engines have some type of tab that will hold the lifter in place that you could pull the pushrods, rotate the engine, getting all the lifters up, and pull out the cam without removing the intake. I heard this the other day, and I though it was unlikely. If its true I will say that chevy is got some kickass engineering.
Hopefully no one else will see this thread so you won't get screamed at. Go to the top right once you get into the category you want to search for and run your mouse over the search button. a box will appear and in that box you type a word you want to search for. It will pull a bunch of previous threads and you spend some time "searching". Also look at the stickies posted at the top of the forums. Welcome to the forum " NEWB".
Old 12-27-2004, 06:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

As Firehawk says...please search...you'll find allthe info you need.

Yes, there are plastic locks, but dont count on them holding the lifters up. It isnt uncommon for them to be worn and let a lifter fall out in the middle of your cam swap.
Old 12-27-2004, 06:12 PM
12 Second Club

Also, even if you did remove the intake, it wouldnt do you and good because you need to take the heads off to get the lifters out.

Just an FYI....
Old 12-27-2004, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The lifters have some cups that hold them in place if you spin the cam a few times after taking out the pushrods. It is adviced to use pen magnets or some rods to keep them from sliding down though. So yes, it is true and you do not have to take the intake manifold off to do a cam swap.

Look up www.ls1howto.com for the install document
Old 12-27-2004, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01_SuperSlow
The lifters have some cups that hold them in place if you spin the cam a few times after taking out the pushrods. It is adviced to use pen magnets or some rods to keep them from sliding down though. So yes, it is true and you do not have to take the intake manifold off to do a cam swap.

Look up www.ls1howto.com for the install document

Sorry for the newb question. I just got so excited when I heard that I didn't take the time to research it. That's pretty impressive. I've been working on fords for years, but I'm new to the ls1 deal. I'm am more and more impressed with these cars everyday with what I learn. So with 58k I shouldn't depend on the cups to hold the lifters up then?
Old 12-27-2004, 08:58 PM
Teching In

Sorry for the newb question. I just got so excited when I heard that I didn't take the time to research it. That's pretty impressive. I've been working on fords for years, but I'm new to the ls1 deal. I'm am more and more impressed with these cars everyday with what I learn. So with 58k I shouldn't depend on the cups to hold the lifters up then?
Never mind I just read the how to section.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:21 PM
On The Tree

I swapped them using the pen magnets technique. worked like a charm
Old 12-27-2004, 09:36 PM
12 Second Club

So with 58k I shouldn't depend on the cups to hold the lifters up then?
Nope. Mine weren't holding at 45K...

pen magents work good, but try to find the ones with the 3/16" magnetic tip...the larger ones (3/8"?) are hard to get back out of the lifter hold-down trays. Took me 1/2 hour to get one of those bigger ones wiggled back out...

Take my word for it.
Old 12-27-2004, 09:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vote goes to 5/16" dowel rods. Cheaper than pen magnets and they (the magnets) do not have a 100% success rate either. Searching should give you all the info you need on this too.However, you should ahve at least one pen magnet style magnet, I am told, to quickly and easily remove the keepers/locks once the spring is compressed.

Last edited by blkZ28spt; 12-27-2004 at 09:53 PM. Reason: clarified what did not ahve 100% success rate
Old 12-28-2004, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
My vote goes to 5/16" dowel rods. Cheaper than pen magnets and they (the magnets) do not have a 100% success rate either. Searching should give you all the info you need on this too.However, you should ahve at least one pen magnet style magnet, I am told, to quickly and easily remove the keepers/locks once the spring is compressed.
I agree. I used steel rods, 18 inches long before the bend for the handle. The left rod was 3/16" wrapped with velcro (a nice snug fit). And a powerful pen magnet to snag the keepers.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Relying on the cups to hold the lifters is called " Russian Roulette" technique.
Ring a bell.