Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help me FINALIZE some things...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Question Please help me FINALIZE some things...

I just recently got the LS1 cam swap package from TR with the TR224 cam (gaskets, ti retainers, everything i could get in the package). I was hoping this would be most of what I needed to do the swap, but the more I read about it, the more I hear that I should also buy a new timing chain set (single or double, still really unsure) and I might as well go ahead and put in a ported LS6 oil pump while I'm in there. The new timing chain set is understandable to replace with a new cam for the added security, but I'm still confused as all hell as to whether I should get a single or double roller. I've heard that the double conflicts with the oil pump and/or an underdrive ASP pulley (should I ever get one). And, I mean, this is no monster cam, wouldn't a single rollmaster set be just fine?... Moving on to the topic of the ported LS6 oil pump, my stock one seems to produce all kinds of good pressure (never seen it below 50..... well maybe it has been, but you get the impression). I guess I'm just trying to clear up the confusion on whether I should upgrade or not because that extra money is very valuable to me right now. If anyone could help me out and provide some first hand input on these issues I'd really appreciate it. I'm looking to do this install as soon as possible and i'd like to get whatever I need ordered quickly because my foot's got an itch that only my gas pedal can scratch
Old 12-28-2004, 10:14 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me tell you what I did. I bought the same kit. My car has 30,000 miles. I didnt replace the timing chain or oil pump. Most people feel its better safe than sorry. Im taking a chance because I feel the cam is so small,miles were low and I dont beat on my car. If you have over 36,000 miles a timing chain would be a good idea. This is all just my opinion. I'll tell ya why I didnt replace my chain. I read the description of the new chains and the manufactures stated that they met or exceeded oem specs. As far as my pump goes its going to continue to pump oil no matter what cam is in there if I notice a drop the pump will be replaced. Keep in mind my car is a weekender nice day kinda car too. I do all my work myself too,just thought I would throw that in too
Old 12-28-2004, 10:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

definatly get a timing chain and ported ls6 oil pump
single roller is just fine...check out the jwis chain...it is supposed to be great!!...good luck and have fun with your go pedal
Old 12-28-2004, 10:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

well like droptop said you can go without it...but i'd much rather know i could drive it how i wanted instead of being scared that something will break...ya know what i mean?
Old 12-28-2004, 10:19 AM
TECH Resident

The only people I know of that had issues with the oil pump and asp pulley with the double rollers are the vettes. I have an ASP pulley and the double roller as do many other F-bodies without any problems. I would get the double if you can. As for the oil pump how many miles are on your car? 99 Pumps have failed but if you lasted this long I dont think you will have any problems. Its a piece of mind issue. BTW people HAVE replaced oil pumps and screwed up the oil ring install (if you get a new pump GET THE NEW O-RING!) and have lost oil pressure that way too. If you race your car alot and live in the upper RPM's I would get the double and pump. If your car sees red every now and then and only go to the track a couple of times a year the stockers should hold up.

If money is tight I ran that cam with my stock oil pump and chain fine.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

I only have 48k on my car and it is rarely driven hard. Every once in while it sees red (maybe a little more so once i get the new cam installed) and I have yet to take it to the track (although I plan on goin a couple times this coming summer). I definitely won't be taking it to the track too much at all. I'm just basically getting this cam because I want to squeeze some more hp out of my car while still being able to pass emissions (ridiculous VA laws). So, you're saying that with the way I drive my car, I could just keep the stockers in? I think I am definitely going to go with the single roller set, just still on the border of the new oil pump.

P.S. on the topic of pulleys... I just installed an optima red top because my sound system was kinda draining my stock battery (head unit, 2 10" subs and amp) and for this reason I have been a little apprehensive to installing an underdrive pulley... isn't this a no-no if you have a decent stereo system setup?
Old 12-28-2004, 10:51 AM
TECH Resident

I would keep the stockers then if the money wasnt around. I searched but I didnt find any instances of stock timing chains breaking. Thats not a huge cam either, you can get a replacement stock chain fairly cheap if you just wanted to be safe. If the oil pump seems fine after that many miles it should be OK. I have not seen an oil pump fail in awhile that didnt have to do with the O-ring. A quick search can clear thatup though.

As for the stereo stuff i have no idea.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

I think i'm gonna stick with my stock pump and get a Rollmaster single (double?) roller set... Thanks for the help 9T9... anyone else have any input to this? And does anyone else know about my pulley concern?
Old 12-28-2004, 11:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

get an overdrive alternator pulley
you can order it along with the underdrive pulley.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

here it is at tsp...http://texas-speed.com/item_detail.asp?ProductID=45 tsp
Old 12-28-2004, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

Dont forget to get the proper length belt for the pullies.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks for the link 777 but that is a lot of money involved for the total package of pulleys/belts. I am definitely holding off on that one. The LS6 intake (TSP is having a special now where you get a GM LS6 manifold and 02 Fuel Rail and 28.8 Injectors for around $470), Rollmaster Timing Set, and Thunder's Ported Throttle body are gonna set me too far back as it is.... speaking of these 3, what do you all think of them? Good quality? Or should I buy them elsewhere? Thanks again for all the help.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:48 AM
12 Second Club

I used my stock pump and timing chain, and I have 80k on the clock. Pressure has never dropped below 40.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:00 PM
TECH Resident

Thing about the timing chain swap is you have to take the oil pump off to swap it. I dont see much point in taking off the oil pump if you arent gonna put a new one on. My opinion is do the combo or dont do either. 48k is not alot of miles, you should be fine with the stock stuff, just watch your oil pressure. 99 pumps were apparently bad about going out. As for the pulley I think you will be fine just doing the underdrive crank pulley and stock alternator pulley. You have a 6 speed so that helps, I havent noticed any drop in power at all. I run a decent sized system (600 watts rms) and havent had any trouble yet.
Old 12-28-2004, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

I feel that is a very big risk not changing the timing chain/gears... I'm not sure... but I just don't have the money for both
Old 12-28-2004, 05:50 PM
11 Second Club

The habit of changing timing chain/gear set came about because Chevrolet used to use a nylon coated cam gear. The nylon would erode away over time and cause the chain to slip. So, whenever you'd change a cam in a small block, you'd automatically want to get rid of the stock nylon geared piece and replace it with an all steel gear. Also chains stretch and that would throw off your cam timing.

The LS1 cam gear is steel. So, there shouldn't be the same concern as with an old small block. However, the chains still do stretch. If I were in your shoes, I'd buy a heavy duty LS2 chain from SDPC for under $30 and use your stock gears. Also, if the oil pump for your model year is known to be problematic, I'd invest in an upgraded one or a stock one from a later year (might be cheaper).
Old 12-28-2004, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

I like that idea the best nuzee... anyone see any problems with getting just and LS2 chain and a ported oil pump (most likely i'll just get the LS6 one)? If not, this looks like the route I will go.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:43 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

if your pump is putting out that good of pressure id stick with it for now, thats why i still have my stock pump
as for the chain definetly change it ls2 or rollmaster both will be fine wouldnt chance the stock one thats already stretched a little
Old 12-28-2004, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where do you find the LS2 timing chains? I can't find them on sdpc2000.com.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
I like that idea the best nuzee... anyone see any problems with getting just and LS2 chain and a ported oil pump (most likely i'll just get the LS6 one)? If not, this looks like the route I will go.
Sounds like a plan. Like I said earlier, if you change the timing chain and pull the old oil pump off and put it back on only to have it die eventually youre gonna kick yourself. If you dont have the money to do them right now then put off the install until you do