Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil?

Hi

Question for you guys.
I change my own with Mobil 1 Fully synthetic oil. I was planning to not do an oil change for
5,000 miles, thinking fully synthetic should cover that with no problem
However. This is the second time in a row now, that after 3,700 miles (last time it also happened around 3,700 miles) my "Change oil" LED came on, on the dash..

what the...???

I was under the impression it'd only come on when it's _really_ bad! My fully synthetic oil got that bad after 3,700 mi? Twice?

Wtf?

What oil do you use, how often do you change it, and have your "Change oil" LED ever came on?

Also, am I right about the fact that the LED comes on when the oil is horrible? Did I damage anything? (I havent driven the car but about 5 mi after the LED came on.. it caught me on my way home. The LED also went off after being on for about 10-20 seconds)

Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by firechicken2k
Hi

Question for you guys.
I change my own with Mobil 1 Fully synthetic oil. I was planning to not do an oil change for
5,000 miles, thinking fully synthetic should cover that with no problem
However. This is the second time in a row now, that after 3,700 miles (last time it also happened around 3,700 miles) my "Change oil" LED came on, on the dash..

what the...???

I was under the impression it'd only come on when it's _really_ bad! My fully synthetic oil got that bad after 3,700 mi? Twice?

Wtf?

What oil do you use, how often do you change it, and have your "Change oil" LED ever came on?

Also, am I right about the fact that the LED comes on when the oil is horrible? Did I damage anything? (I havent driven the car but about 5 mi after the LED came on.. it caught me on my way home. The LED also went off after being on for about 10-20 seconds)

Thanks for sharing.
From what I gather the oil monitoring system is based on conventional oil. The system doesn't actually "know" the condition of the oil, but rather the driving habits and amount of idling, etc that the engine has been doing since you last reset the change oil light. This being said it doesn't matter if you use Mobil 1 or the cheapest crap you can find, the computer doesn't know the difference. So reset the light at your oil change, and if it comes on before your ready to change it, reset it again to make the light go away. With my 00 Z-71 I use Mobil 1 5w30 and change it somewhere between 4-5000 miles. The WS6 on the other hand doesn't get driven enough yearly for me to neccasarily go by a certain amount of miles. I only drive it roughly 5-6000 miles a year and I definately change it more than once a year. And for it I use Mobil 1 0w40. I hope you got some answers out of all that rambling.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
From what I gather the oil monitoring system is based on conventional oil. The system doesn't actually "know" the condition of the oil, but rather the driving habits and amount of idling, etc that the engine has been doing since you last reset the change oil light. This being said it doesn't matter if you use Mobil 1 or the cheapest crap you can find, the computer doesn't know the difference. So reset the light at your oil change, and if it comes on before your ready to change it, reset it again to make the light go away. With my 00 Z-71 I use Mobil 1 5w30 and change it somewhere between 4-5000 miles. The WS6 on the other hand doesn't get driven enough yearly for me to neccasarily go by a certain amount of miles. I only drive it roughly 5-6000 miles a year and I definately change it more than once a year. And for it I use Mobil 1 0w40. I hope you got some answers out of all that rambling.
Mobil 1 0w40. Ok

Does your "Change Oil" LED come on?
and you're saying I can safely ignore that crap, and have my 0w40 marinate there for 5000 miles ?
Old 12-30-2004, 11:47 AM
11 Second Club

Mobil 1 0w40. Ok

Does your "Change Oil" LED come on?
and you're saying I can safely ignore that crap, and have my 0w40 marinate there for 5000 miles ?
I change any quality synthetic oil at 5000 mile intervals.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:49 AM
11 Second Club

Oh, and I ignore the light.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Oil analysis results have proven time and time again that synthetic oil can last a long time. In the LS1 I wouldn't hesitate to go as far as 8000 miles. In fact I plan to do this next summer. I will reset my Corvette's oil life monitor and run it to 0%. I estimate it'll be 8000 miles, since I'm usually at 50% oil life by the 4000 mile point. (the Corvette's oil life monitor will show you the percentage, plus it's calibrated based on using synthetic oil too)
Old 12-30-2004, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

can i reset the light myself somehow, or do i just ignore it when it comes on?

and thanks for the replies, everyone
Old 12-30-2004, 04:42 PM
10 Second Club

can i reset the light myself somehow, or do i just ignore it when it comes on?

and thanks for the replies, everyone
Yes, you can reset the light yourself. It will tell you how to in your owners manual, but on my car you just have the key in the forward postion (not running though) and press the oil reset (also the trip meter) for 12 seconds or so. The change engine oil will flash a few times then go off. You are now ready to go. As far as letting your oil "marinate" as you said earlier, like Patman said, with a good synthetic oil there should be no problem whatsoever with a 5000 mile drain interval.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:46 PM
11 Second Club

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...l+change+light