Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you do this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Would you do this?

I got an offer to buy a set stage 3 5.3 heads and a sleeved block for a quiet nice price(less than the ported heads cost new). The block DOES have some leakage issues but the shop where the stuff is told me that it could be sent off and fixed for 450 bucks. I believe it was a dry sleeved block,maybe, but I can't really say until I talk to the guy that owns the stuff again. I'm kinda new to the whole block sleeving thing. BUT this is an offer that I hate to miss out on. I won't be building a big CI stroker engine, just a big bore and aftermarket rods, with the heads and cam, and probably a 100 shot or about 8psi of boost down the road. I wouldn't think that I would have anymore issues being that I am not gunna be trying to make the power that the engine was previously making(550 at the rear wheels).

Would you guys do it?

Josh S.
Old 12-30-2004, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you plan on keeping the 5.3 heads I'd just go with the larger cubes/compression and nitrous. I may be mistaken, but from what I've read it would be a pain in the *** to try and drop your compression enough with the 5.3 heads for a blower or turbo. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I'd just take the block and use it as a core for one of the shortblocks that most of the sponsors sell if you're not building the motor yourself. If you are, get that block fixed and build yourself a nasty motor!
Old 12-30-2004, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

What size bore is it? I just had one done by my local machineshop to 4.100 dry sleeve and it turned out great. I think the safe overbore for a dry sleeve on a LS1 block is 4.275, anything bigger than that and I feel there is not enough material left to properly support a sleeve. Main thing is to find out what size sleeves are in the block. That is the reason I feel 4.100 is the practical limit for a street engine because when done properly it has plenty of block matterial left after the resleeving process.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:40 PM
TECH Addict

I think its a 4.155 maybe.... can't remember, it was previously a 434. I'm not gunna sink a lot of money in this set up to go fast b/c I'm gunna try to find an older car and make a monster out of.... like a 632 with 2-3 stages of nitrous. But I will stick a pretty big hyd. roller in it, some aftermarket rods and top the rest of the combo with a LS2 intake. I was gunna build a 370 and port the **** outa my stock heads myself, but when I came across this I really don't want to let it pass by. I should have the money after the first of the year and I'm probably gunna take the offer. Hell the heads would be worth a grand I'de say and then that wouldn't put me paying much at all for the block and matching head gaskets to go with it.

Josh S.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:03 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

who did the resleeving and block work?
Old 12-30-2004, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

im not sure. The engine was built by FMS, might have been darton or I'de imagine its darton parts, I asked how it would be fixed and they said that Allan would have to send it off.

Josh S.
Old 01-01-2005, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

TTT

Josh S.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:54 PM
TECH Addict

I'm not getting any info..... hmmm so is that a no?

Josh S.