Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken head bolt?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2005, 01:36 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Broken head bolt?

Installing a set of heads and was using a new set of factory head bolts. I blew the holes out threaded a clean out bolt in each one then blew them out again. Bolts went in fine I am on the final pass I get to about 45 degrees and snap ( Big bolt second one from the front on the outside). At first I thought the ratchet had slipped but no I wasn't that lucky. I am just looking for suggestions I know I can drill it and put a Helicoil or drill it and retap it to a larger size etc... What have you had happen and what did you do to fix it? I have only used the factory bolts 3 times now and two out of the three have ended up with broken bolts so I am washing my hands of them after this one. Oh by the way it is on one of the long bolts so it is about 4 inces down I can't see it with out a flashlight etc... I was doing this on new years eve to help a kid out that has to go back to school on the 6th etc.. Just put the icing on the cake for 2004 and making 2005 start off rough LOL!
Old 01-01-2005, 01:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You're not supposed to reuse the stock headbolts.

I have no idea how to easily fix it...and I dont know how much bigger you'll be able to drill it out or if that is necessarily the best thing to do anyway.

I guess all I can say is good luck!
Old 01-01-2005, 01:53 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Yeah I know read the first line of my post it says NEW set of factory bolts. Thanks for your imput. Kinda cold up there right now?
Old 01-01-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if the bolt just broke. It should be able to be turned back out. Easier said then done down that far.

If it is stuck then there is something in the threads and you are going to have to drill the thing. Again Good Luck. Did the bolt screw right in or was it tight going in. From the sounds of it, that it surprised you when it broke. I would say the bolt was bottomed in the hole. I've done alot of TTY bolts and only had one break because we were in a hurry and didnt clean the crap out of one hole. But we new it was going to break. You could feel the bolt stretch, just like the feel you get on your final tightening pass it stretched then got loose and broke. I hope the rest of your Yr is better for you. Later John
Old 01-01-2005, 02:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ahh ic...sorry about that...are you putting any lube on the threads as you torque them?

Yeah, its cold as hell here. I nearly caught hypothermia pulling my cam yesterday
Old 01-01-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99ssleeper
ahh ic...sorry about that...are you putting any lube on the threads as you torque them?
No lube is to be put on new GM TTY bolts.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:24 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Ojustracing- Yeah they all started fine and I have a couple of others that I was getting pretty worrie about cause they got felt pretty hard, but they went just fine this one was going I won't say easy caues it was on the final pass but smooth it didn't bind up it seemed to be turning smooth and then BAM broken bolt about an inch into the threads so I am just asking what if anybody else has done in this situation or if they have ever been in this situation etc... Thanks for the info on your breakage. Mine were clean and blown out real good I know no coolant. Maybe a piece of trash stuck, but I highly dought it would cause this who knows it's my problem I'll fix it.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

how goes the battle jeff? you try my suggestion?
Old 01-01-2005, 09:21 PM
9 Second Club

Maybe I'm missunderstanding your situation but couldn't you drill a hole in the end of the bolt then use an "ease out" It shouldn't be in any kind of a bind. The bolt is 4 inches down there with head still on correct. So you would have to remove the head to use the "ease out"
Old 01-02-2005, 01:15 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Yeah that will be my first try but even with the head off it is like 3.5-4 inches down I don't know of or haven't found an easy out that long yet and drilling the hole that I can't see could be a chore etc... It isn't perfectly flat and if it goes off to one side it will drill through the aluminum first rather than the harder steel etc... So now you see my problem I am going to search for an easy out on Monday and that will be my first try along with a reverse drill bit. Thanks
Old 01-02-2005, 05:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ya left hand drill and a prayer.
Old 01-02-2005, 07:44 AM
On The Tree

I bought a TimeSert kit to repair head bolt holes. It comes with a drill and guide to clear out the hole and bring it to the correct diameter for the insert. The insert is steel and once installed is stronger than the aluminum block. This kit is not cheap but the local machine shop (who normally charges $35 to install an insert) did not have the 11M x 2.0 setup that is needed for the LS engines. I would contact the machine shops in your area and see if they have the proper TimeSert or Kent-Moore equipment to make this repair. The dealer usually has the kit but will only do the repair as part of a complete job....$$$$
Old 01-02-2005, 10:23 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Thanks a bunch that is the kind of info I was looking for. Where did you purchase your kit from? About how much was it? I have a guy at the dealer who is going to let me borrow it if he can find it? I am just trying to prepare for worst case. Thanks again for the info.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:00 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Yeah that will be my first try but even with the head off it is like 3.5-4 inches down I don't know of or haven't found an easy out that long yet and drilling the hole that I can't see could be a chore etc... It isn't perfectly flat and if it goes off to one side it will drill through the aluminum first rather than the harder steel etc... So now you see my problem I am going to search for an easy out on Monday and that will be my first try along with a reverse drill bit. Thanks
Now I see your delima man this sucks. I wonder if I could drill a cut off piece of stock head bolt perfectly down the center with my drill press. Then you could screw the bolt into your block and use it as a guide to drill into the broken piece.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:36 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by code4
I wonder if I could drill a cut off piece of stock head bolt perfectly down the center with my drill press.
Not easy with a drill press, but cake on a lathe. You chuck up the bolt and run the drill bit in with the tail stock. Either way, starting the hole with center drill is the way to do it.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

The insert kit from TimeSert cost me $358 delivered. To buy the same kit from Kent-Moore is $579.
The last block I worked on needed to be welded due to the previous owner's failure to clean out the bolt hole which caused the casing to split; luckily it was the lower left-most head bolt on the right side...so the welder could get to it and repair the crack. Since the hole was now welded at the bottom, the machinist had to drill the hole out so he made a special drill guide to hold the drill bit while he drilled the new hole. You may need a guide like this to drill out your head bolt, I would suggest that you contact the machine shops in your area to see who does this type of work. I was fortunate in that the block was bare and out of the car when I had this done. Good Luck!
Old 01-02-2005, 12:04 PM
11 Second Club

Now I see your delima man this sucks. I wonder if I could drill a cut off piece of stock head bolt perfectly down the center with my drill press. Then you could screw the bolt into your block and use it as a guide to drill into the broken piece.
Good Idea IMO.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:07 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Thanks charlie! One of my best friends work a at a machine shop so I will call him and see what he can do for me. That is kinda pricey.
Code4- Yeah I appreciate the offer, but like Cal said that is near impossible on a drill press, and besides the stock bolt would offer too much play still I think I am going to have to have a solid peice of stock made to keep the bit from walking all over the place etc...
Old 01-02-2005, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe you could find a piece of stainless steel tubing to slip in the bolt hole and use as a guide. I know drilling and backing something out presents its own problems. Last year I tried that on a bolt on my lawn tractor. Didn't get all the metal shavings out and snapped the easy-out. I sincerely wish you luck, because it's not gonna be easy.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:47 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Thanks I have my friend coming over tonight to help me make a guide that will slip in the hole and let me drill strait hope fully I don't think the stainless tubing would be tight enough to keep it from walking. We are talking about a steel dowl to fit down a few inches with a hole in the center to drill it with a reverse bit and see if it comes out. I have my fingers crossed LOL!