Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

okay, heres my trouble with just picking a cam.. please read

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 01:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default okay, heres my trouble with just picking a cam.. please read

man there are plenty of cams i would have already bought!

233/239 by tsp
f13, f9, f11, or anything allan reccomended, or anything else huge, that puts down good #'s n/a and n2o... the problem is this!

i dont quite feel confident i can tackle the cam install myself.. might try it, might not!

if i dont install the cam, a guy about 1 hr away will.. for a good good price and i know he will do it right, my most trusted buddy had his cam done there so i trust this guy.. but EVEN if i buy a program like HP Tuners, my buddy has this program, it will be hell for the 1hr drive back trying to get it home with any of the larger cams with an auto trans and a minimal converter ect. if i do it myself, i can order a mail order tune from my dyno guy who is over 3 hrs away to get it up there hopefully, still may have trouble even with a bigger cam, but that is 250 on top of another 250 once i get there for the dyno tune... which is no big deal

BUT, id really like this guy to install it, he can do one in about 7hrs pump, chain and all, done a lot of them, well known around the area as just being insane at doing this, plus if something goes afoul, hes gonna take it apart and find it, not me! SO, i guess imma have to bite the bullet and get hp tuners, + the 250$ he'll charge me for the cam install, which equals the 250 for a mail order tune right..
SO if i get hp tuners im hoping i can find someone with a similar cam and they can somehow send em a tune right.. if i can get it there i know my buddy who has played around with his rj cam from futral can get it close enuff to get us home! hp tuners is an extra 500 total ill have to spend but ill know the cam was put in right, and it will come in handy down the road to have some kind of tuner,

But who is going to have a tune for hp tuners, the reason i posted it here, is b/c im guessing it would be wise to pick a cam a lot of ppl have.. that would increase my chances of bumming a tune right? so what are some of the more popular cams i might be able to get home on????

sorry for this long thread, but its come down to this..., maybe there is another way of doing all this, if so please post up. ive done all the reading and searching one can.. have read prolly 2 hundred threads since ive been a member and its decision time! my friend is sideway0Z on here.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

I am going with the TSP Torquer cam. I read a few people have installed and done a tune later. I am doing mine own tuning with the help of everyone here.

$250 for the Cam, springs, pump install is a good price.

Bill
Old 01-04-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI, its pretty easy swap really.. time consuming but easy. 250 is an absolute steal though.. There is something for doing it yourself and crossing your fingers the first time you start it up

I would post your cam specs and mods in the PCM\diag section and see if someone can get you close. If not there are tuners like the Vette doctors that can get you on the road close for 200.

Also the Predator from Alan is not a bad tune and is $400. Mine was EXTREMELY close when ran it with the wideband my tuner said that Part throttle was perfect. This was with a 232/230 cam\heads\headers.... If I did not have access to a tuner I would not hesitate to use him for the Z06 cam tune
Old 01-04-2005, 08:21 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you purchase the cam from TSP, they'll sell ya a mail order tune for $250. You send in your pcm, they send it back tuned.