Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about winterizing

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default question about winterizing

I am going to put my camaro away for the winter, my question is about oil. With my motorcycles, I always put in fresh oil and filter, and change it in the spring time. I wold like to do the same for my car, but i Use synthetic in my camaro. Could i put in regular dino oil just for storage, and swap it out with synthetic in the spring time? I just dont want to throw away perfectly good synthetic oil if I do not have to.

thanks for the help

jimmy
Old 01-04-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

anyone????
Old 01-04-2005, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

IMO, I would never put non-synthetic in an engine that has had synthetic in it. I don't even know why exactly, but that's what I've always heard.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

Living in San Diego I don't have much experience with "winterizing" but I am interested in the rationale behind this. What happens to the oil during the winter that would be different than in the summer? I don't think that it will freeze, what else could go wrong with it? If the oil was still in the bottle sitting on the shelf in the garage would it be any different than if it was sitting in the crankcase of your engine?
Old 01-04-2005, 06:02 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mobil 1 says it should be fine to leave your current batch of synthetic in for the storage period:

http://www.mobil1.com/care/advanced/...ve.jsp#date162
Assuming that you’re following the recommended oil change intervals, there is no reason to put new motor oil into your Corvette right before storage. This is especially true with Mobil 1, which, as you know, was factory fill in your Corvette. Because Mobil 1 generally has a longer "shelf life" than conventional motor oils – i.e., it will not deteriorate as quickly in an engine that is not being run for months – Mobil 1 will retain much of its lubricating properties over the months of winter storage. When you first start up your Corvette’s engine in the spring, a thin film of Mobil 1 will still exist on many engine parts, and Mobil 1 will flow quickly into the oil galleries and onto lubricated engine parts, helping to protect your engine. It is at this point, when you plan on driving your vehicle again, that you should change the oil to fresh Mobil 1 and a new oil filter.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

i did not know that about M1, thanks for the help on that

CharlieLed, you chage the oil so that it does not detoriorate, and go to **** while sitting in your car.........it must me nice not to winterize

jk

jimmy
Old 01-05-2005, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by jimmy 2 Times
you chage the oil so that it does not detoriorate, and go to **** while sitting in your car
I have not seen any data that suggests that motor oil will deteriorate in an unused engine. Changing the oil prior to storage is a good idea based on the fact that "used" oil probably has contaminants that over time would deteriorate seals, etc...but I have never heard of oil itself deteriorating just by sitting in the crankcase.