Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which TDC method should i use??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default which TDC method should i use??

i've got the straw method, which i dont want to do because i might have to take the headers off; or i have the dot method, were i turn the crank 90* and do the springs on the corrisponding pistons., which i dont want to do because of the uncertainty.

which method did you use/ should i use and why?
Old 01-05-2005, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

I used the dot method with no problem. Just pay attention and its simple!
Old 01-05-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LSONE
i've got the straw method, which i dont want to do because i might have to take the headers off; or i have the dot method, were i turn the crank 90* and do the springs on the corrisponding pistons., which i dont want to do because of the uncertainty.

which method did you use/ should i use and why?
Why would you have to take the headers off?
I used a 6 or 7 inch length of rubber tube. Thick enough so that I could feel the piston clamp down on it.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Regular

Could someone explain what the DOT method is...and straw...etc. I need a bit more info to figure it out.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Addict

The dots are on the timing gears. When the dot on the crank gear is at 12:00 then either #1 or #6 is at TDC. You can poke a straw into the spark plug hole in #1 to determine which cylinder is up.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:12 PM
Launching!

I just put a mark on my crank bolt with a black magic marker and rotated it like that. There is no uncertainty in that.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:43 PM
TECH Junkie

could also use a leakdown tester to find where tdc is, only have to do 4 pistons if somebody had a map(ls1howto.com ??) of which 2 were up at the same time it would be easy, for instance inject air into pistons 1,3,2,4 and find the corresponding pistons that are up with these ones make the marks on the crank and every time from there on out would be easy. I have used the dot method before and don't worry the valves wont fall far at all if the piston is at TDC.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

i dont have an air compressor i need one though
Old 01-06-2005, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bluehawk27
I just put a mark on my crank bolt with a black magic marker and rotated it like that. There is no uncertainty in that.
Yeah, but you have to find TDC first. Great for spring changes independent of cam but when you are installing a cam and have the timing cover off you have a better indication -the "dots". I already thought about marking the bolt, like you suggested when it comes time to change the springs.

No need to take the headers off unless you have some strange headers that don't allow you to change plugs. That would be ludicrious. I don't like the straw. I used it and it was flimsy. I couldn't really feel it clamp. I had the "dotss" for backup but I was experimenting, exploring etc. I will upgrade to rubber hose next time to find TDC on the first pair and then just go 90 degrees on each step.