Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel additive/octane boost question

Old 01-11-2005, 08:58 AM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel additive/octane boost question

Do any of you guys use the add in octane boost? Does it do anything? If yes and yes, which would you recommend? (I always put 97 gas in)
Old 01-11-2005, 10:01 AM
TECH Resident

I heard that it doesn't do anything for you. Maybe helps a LITTLE if your running FI
Old 01-11-2005, 10:08 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah I dont think it does ****. waste of money.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

Actually, octane boost will help your HP levels.
......it is minimal but it will give increases.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

From my experience with boosters and NOS, actually I lost power.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:02 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Interesting spread of responses. Thanks guys.

A friend of mine who is into the import scene (but not Fast and the Furious ricer crap), suggested it to me. Being a flight sim freak, I recalled post war testing the USAAF did of the Japanese Ki-84 (the "Frank") and the claim generally bandied about that the higher performance was from higher octane US fuel. However, the counter is always that higher octane won't help unless you do something to take advantage of it - rasing compression, upping boost, whatever.

He then pointed out that they weren't dealing with modern, PCM controlled EFI engines and that the PCM would make use of the higher octane. Seemed to make sense. At least on a certain level. So I just wanted to see what people here thought or experienced.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

Makes mine run like ****. But my freinds car with about the same setup as mine runs good with it so ?????
Old 01-11-2005, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

higher octane fuels burn slower
they are more resistant to detonation.
the ONLY reason you would want to run higher octane is if you are getting knock or running forced induction/nitrous.
you want to run the lowest octane possible without detonation for peak power.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:27 PM
11 Second Club

its a waste of time and money! no bother putting it in, if you want higher octane then go by some 100 from the airport. i know mine around here sells it there either that or c18? cant remember but call an airport up near you and ask
Old 01-11-2005, 07:23 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

From the airport....is that "mo-gas", or LL av-gas? LL is still leaded (low-lead).
Old 01-11-2005, 08:45 PM
11 Second Club

i have never bought any, but i know quite a few people that buy there on a regular basis! or you could even look for a speed shop around ya. they sell higher octane fuel as well
Old 01-11-2005, 08:58 PM
On The Tree

100 Octane is available from certain Union 76 stations, cost about $6 a gallon.

Octane additive discussed below:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ighlight=torco
Old 01-11-2005, 11:14 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 192 Likes on 161 Posts

I haven't ever noticed much of a difference on hi-compression 60's motors from using octance boosters. On my LS1, I've noticed a boost in octane when using BG 44K or BG Supercharge fuel system cleaners with the crappy 91 we get around here. They contain naptha and other petroleum distillates that raise octane as they do their cleaning work - but they are not advertised as octane boosters. You can feel the effects of the computer moving the timing curve forward if you've been having KR.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:18 AM
On The Tree

Octane does not enhance HP or performance. Octane slows down the burning of the air-fuel mixture and, consequently, is an antidote to knocking.

There is more energy potential in lower octane fuel. However, if one has knocking issues, higher octance will help since it will prevent knock and timing retard.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:20 AM
10 Second Club

for everybody saying higher octane made their car run like ****- well try leaning the car out and adding timing with that higher octane. you should gain.

i used to use toulene/xylene in my DSM. do a yahoo search, grand national/turbo buick guys have been using that **** for years. no smell and you can get right around 100octane UNLEADED out of it.

you can buy it at sherwin williams or any paint store (it is like STRONG *** paint thinner). it is also not harmful to the car if you read the directions on one of the faq's about it. you cannot go over 1/3 toulene/regular gas mixture and you should add a certain oil to your gas to help with lubrication.

put toulene/xylene in the tank, crank the boost, and get 0* kr... + nobody has any idea (racegas is obvious because of the smell).

93 octane is more than enough for my n/a ls1 though.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

what is everyones thoughts about Torco fuel additive?
I am running a 408ci with a 200 shot
Old 01-12-2005, 01:05 PM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sleeperstyle
for everybody saying higher octane made their car run like ****- well try leaning the car out and adding timing with that higher octane. you should gain.
Shouldn't the PCM do this though?

i used to use toulene/xylene in my DSM. do a yahoo search, grand national/turbo buick guys have been using that **** for years. no smell and you can get right around 100octane UNLEADED out of it.

you can buy it at sherwin williams or any paint store (it is like STRONG *** paint thinner). it is also not harmful to the car if you read the directions on one of the faq's about it. you cannot go over 1/3 toulene/regular gas mixture and you should add a certain oil to your gas to help with lubrication.

put toulene/xylene in the tank, crank the boost, and get 0* kr... + nobody has any idea (racegas is obvious because of the smell).
Slick!

93 octane is more than enough for my n/a ls1 though.
Wonder if altitude would play a part. Seems it ought to.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Octane doesn't make it "slower burning" . What the additive and other chemicals that are used to make for a higher Octane fuel do is raise the Flash Point at which the fuel will begin to burn.

Most Octane Boosters really don't help any. I've tried a bunch but haven't seen any positive results from using it.
If you run Leaded fuel that can make horse power because of the Higher BTU content of the "tet" ( don't ask me to spell it out. It freaking long). The lead additives have a higher flash point but a more volitile burn so they make more power per part.
Old 01-13-2005, 04:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by HPP
Do any of you guys use the add in octane boost? Does it do anything? If yes and yes, which would you recommend? (I always put 97 gas in)
I use a product called Fuel Power (made by a company called Lube Control, so if you want to buy it, do a google search for them) every time I fill up, which is primarily a fuel system cleaner, but it also has the effect of raising your octane one point since it lessens the knock retard you'll get. I add 1oz of this stuff for every 5 gallons of fuel I put in. Using this stuff will keep your combustion chamber free of carbon buildup, which also keeps your knock retard down.
Old 01-13-2005, 08:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Understand that 1 point=0.1 octane point. So if the octane boosted raises 5-10 points you only go from 93 to 93.5-94.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel additive/octane boost question