Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've got a bad tick, need help guys.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 01:41 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unhappy I've got a bad tick, need help guys.

its coming from the notorious driverside valve cover. i thought it might be an exhaust leak at first (hoped it was), so i removed the band clamp from the collector, put some heatproof wrap under it and clamped it back down. no change. i changed out the factory header gasket with a new OEM one, no change. it gets louder the warmer the car gets and seems like it's coming from the #3 or #5 cylinder. i plan on removing the valve cover and digging around.

here's my questions, could a bent pushrod be causing this bad of a tick? i'm guessing you can just replace one pushrod, but im not sure if the same thing goes for lifters.

i can pull he heads and check the lifters out if need be, but can't i do it from inside the valve cover? can i push on the rockers (pushrod end), and see if i can depress the lifter? i'm guessing it needs to be on the compression stroke (both valves closed) to test this, but i'm not sure. also, can you just replace one collapsed lifter if this is the problem.

where do you guys think i should start at? thanks for reading and for any help you guys might offer in advance, casey

btw- i got a craftsman 1/4" drive air ratchet today from sears, and it will WRECK SHOP on some header bolts, i highly recommend one. not all that powerfull, but once you get 'em loosened up, you can snake that thing in some tight places. im talkin change the sparkplugs thru the tailpipe
Old 01-11-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may want to check the spark plugs, a .020 gap on a plug made mine have a nasty tick one time. Gapped properly and the tick went away. Like you, I looked everywhere else first.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i had a 406 small bolck make a ticking noise. it was the number 6 piston tapping the head because i spun a bearing. a couple days later the motor went. it also got louder as the engine warmed up.
Old 01-11-2005, 05:27 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Take both belts off the front of the engine to make sure it's really an internal problem. It could also be a noisey fuel injector.

If internal, a lifter or rod bearing. If it is louder under load, probably the rod bearing. If it is a slow tick, probably a lifter problem. You will then have to remove the heads; no way to to know for sure without being able to see them. I just had a roller go bad on one of my lifters, and it ruined the cam.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:17 PM
That's what she said...

the sparkplugs are brand new tr55's @ .055

i was thinking about swapping the fuel injectors from one side to the other to make sure that they werent the culprit.

i'll remove the belts and try that, it's worth it if it means saving me having to pull a head off.

if i do have to pull the driverside head and find a bad lifter, can i just replace one? i'm about to go let it warm up, then pull the belts off of it and see if it's doing it. it only does it bad when it gets warm after i've driven it for a few minutes.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

atleast your ticking stays and doesnt go away for 1-2 days or 2-3 weeks, then come back!!!!! I have the tick that comes and goes..

good luck!

Like they said, the only way to know for sure would be to take the heads off. Sucks, but its alot better to be safe than sorry. Good peice of mind also.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:33 PM
That's what she said...

why does everyone keep saying headS? couldnt i just pull one? half the work, twice as easy. is it kosher to just replace the one bad lifter?

either way, it looks like i'm going to miss g-force's dynoday this weekend
Old 01-11-2005, 07:18 PM
That's what she said...

pulled the belts, its still going, it even started making a slight squealing wallago, almost like its metal vs. metal somewhere in there. if the lifter is collapsed, would it affect the oiling above it?