Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rocker arms

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 11:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default rocker arms

im looking for a good set of strong rocker arms for my 2001 ls1 camaro and i was looking at the yella terra shaft mounted and the comp cams aluminum shaft mounted. is there any real advantage to having all the rockers mounted on a single shaft and are the comp cams ones really worth the extra money? also is it possible to adjust valve lash on either of these rocker arms?
Old 01-14-2005, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CamaroSS22
im looking for a good set of strong rocker arms for my 2001 ls1 camaro and i was looking at the yella terra shaft mounted and the comp cams aluminum shaft mounted. is there any real advantage to having all the rockers mounted on a single shaft and are the comp cams ones really worth the extra money? also is it possible to adjust valve lash on either of these rocker arms?
i think comp cam adjustabels are the promags only don't know about yella
Old 01-14-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its not that all rockers are mounted on a single shaft, it is the way the rockers are retained to the heads. Take one look at the yella terra style and the Jessel, Comp, or T&D and there is no comparison. The yella terras rely on a shaft and bolt for each pair and have individual pivot bearings. The others rely on a huge cradle that runs the entire length of the head which each pair of rockers pivoting on a shaft. The true shaft systems are lighter over the valve tip as well which is very important.
Old 01-14-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CamaroSS22
Shaft mounted rockers reduce the problems pedestal mounted rollers can experience if the pedestals are not all exactly the same.
Old 01-14-2005, 04:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gojo
Shaft mounted rockers reduce the problems pedestal mounted rollers can experience if the pedestals are not all exactly the same.
Bingo. But, this can be overcome w/ shimming. The Comps aren't that expensive. Neither are the Cranes. Depends on what "expensive" is...

Any/all are better than stock.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's a picture of my stock rocker. Notice the wear spot is off center. It probably is a good indication that pedestal roller rockers will be a problem. I had my stockers rebuilt by HS after I noted the wear on my HS RR's. They are a good alternative to shaft mounts.
Old 01-17-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Yella Terras are an interesting setup. They pin the stud. So the roller is axially fixed. Like a shaft. A mini-shaft. No guideplates.

However, other than price, I would use a real shaft unless I was doing a budget setup. Then I would use a stock setup.

I believe stock setup would work with an XE-R or equivalent (Crane has equivalents) with aftermarket springs, lifters, timing chain, and pushrods. Less than $1000 total. Add in a set of headers with X-pipe ($1500-1800 on a Z06 with cats), LS1Edit, and that would be a budget setup. IMHO. Most people would add an intake and maybe an underdrive pulley to that.

If heads (say AFR205s), intake (FAST), 90mm tb, bigger injectors, are added, I would add the shafts also. And if the bottom end cam apart, shafts would be a small part of the budget.
Old 01-17-2005, 10:35 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
If heads (say AFR205s), intake (FAST), 90mm tb, bigger injectors, are added, I would add the shafts also. And if the bottom end cam apart, shafts would be a small part of the budget.

DavidNJ, do you think the Jesel SS rockers would suffice for most applications or are you talking about the $1000+ shaft rockers?