Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need info on gasket/bolt parts for replacing cam and heads

Old 01-15-2005, 08:50 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Need info on gasket/bolt parts for replacing cam and heads

When replacing cam, is it necessary to use new Cam bolts and cam retainer plate bolts? Already changed cam twice, and reused the factory bolts. Is their any problem reusing the factory bolts for cam and cam retainer plate?

When looking at ARP head studs, what is opinion on hex nut bolt head stud kit VS. 12 pt. head stud kit? Price is about $20 difference, so not a big concern.

Are Cometic gaskets that much better than stock GM gaskets. For 11-1 CR and 200 wet shot, are GM MLS the factory style gaskets to use if I did not want to go with Cometics?

When replacing cam, I was told that only balancer bolt and front cover gaskets were really needed (to replace)….any other input on this?

When replacing heads, besides head gaskets, header gaskets, and head bolt/studs, what else is usually needed? Valley gasket? Input on this?

Can ARP head studs be reused, or are they torque-to-yield like the head bolts?

Thanks,

SDB
Old 01-15-2005, 09:07 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Also, can ARP head bolts be reused? I was told that stock head bolts should NOT be resued.

Thanks,

SDB
Old 01-16-2005, 02:58 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Anyone???
Old 01-18-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lets try this one over here
Old 01-18-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SDB
When replacing cam, is it necessary to use new Cam bolts and cam retainer plate bolts? Already changed cam twice, and reused the factory bolts. Is their any problem reusing the factory bolts for cam and cam retainer plate?

When looking at ARP head studs, what is opinion on hex nut bolt head stud kit VS. 12 pt. head stud kit? Price is about $20 difference, so not a big concern.

Are Cometic gaskets that much better than stock GM gaskets. For 11-1 CR and 200 wet shot, are GM MLS the factory style gaskets to use if I did not want to go with Cometics?

When replacing cam, I was told that only balancer bolt and front cover gaskets were really needed (to replace)….any other input on this?

When replacing heads, besides head gaskets, header gaskets, and head bolt/studs, what else is usually needed? Valley gasket? Input on this?

Can ARP head studs be reused, or are they torque-to-yield like the head bolts?

Thanks,

SDB
The cam plate bolts are not TTY ( torque to yield ) like the others and are only under 22 ft/lbs of torque. Should be good for multiple changes.
I have always liked the 12 sided bolt/nut personally but no real difference either way. Depends on whether you have a 6 or 12 sided socket available or you are gonna spend $10 on a good one anyway.
Heard mixed reviews on the Cometic stuff, mainly the copper layer models that are for high compression apps. Most are using multi-layer models with good reliability.
Cam only replacement the balancer and front cover are the only needs. Some have even re-used the balancer but it is listed at TTY and under super high tension. Remember, no woodruff key to keep balancer from spinning with high HP motors or blowers.
No valley pan gasket required on head change.
For SURE use the ARP head bolts if you are running the 11:1 and giggle gas. They are completely reusable and are one of the best upgrades short of the rod bolts.
Good luck, motor on!
Old 01-19-2005, 07:06 AM
SDB
10 Second Club

cool thanks!!
Old 01-23-2005, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks, i was wondering these same things, im about to do this myself. so just front timing chain cover gasket, head gasket, head bolt and waterpump gaskets will be needed or ??

Search this Thread