Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 to a LS6 Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2005, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 to a LS6 Conversion

Ive been debating on how to get some more power to my hawk, and i was looking at forced induction, but its just comes down to me now having enough money......i read in summit racing that i could do a head/cam swap to covert my LS1 to an LS6... is this a good idea?, or doesn't anyone any info on it...or know any other companies that sell something like this
Old 01-22-2005, 07:02 PM
TECH Resident

I would say for the money it would be a poor idea.Put a healthy cam in the car and you'll see more gains that the ls6 heads and cam swap.
Old 01-22-2005, 08:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ferariguy3
Ive been debating on how to get some more power to my hawk, and i was looking at forced induction, but its just comes down to me now having enough money......i read in summit racing that i could do a head/cam swap to covert my LS1 to an LS6... is this a good idea?, or doesn't anyone any info on it...or know any other companies that sell something like this

Depending on your priorities, the LS6 conversion is a nice kit. I love the way stock LS6s run, as long as you have the right combo (and gears) to take advantage of it.

You'll also keep the resale value of your car higher, since selling a head/cam car for a good price is very difficult. Most buyers will run away when you tell them they need to inspect the internals every 10k miles...
Old 01-22-2005, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Well, by that logic upgrading to the LS6 is "cracking" open the engine as well and IMO will deter people just the same . Just like any other package it would need a tune... not trying to be rude but it's basically the same.(To clarify: I'm talking in the sense of LS6 vs the likes of a TR220 cam not those huge 230 + cams)

I would suggest if you're going to upgrade go a different route. Take some time and figure out what your needs/wants are (ie: driveability, power, etc.)
Once you have established your needs/wants, I, personally, would purchase a LS6 intake but would forgo the whole LS6 package - get a cam that fits your needs.
......I would also suggest a more free flowing exhaust (set of headers) to help the car breathe and unlock the power your creating.

Later on if you get the "itch" to go further, you can always purchase a set of heads to match the cam you have for more power.

Good luck ! !

Last edited by TheBowtieboy; 01-22-2005 at 10:04 PM.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Addict

I agree. There is a LOT more bang for your buck out there.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I will be the devils advocate here. It's really not a bad idea depending on what your goals are. If you want you can go with a set of the GM cnc heads which are LS6 heads for about $1800 or so and just put a LS6 cam in it cheap and upgrade later. The GM CNC LS6 heads are actually pretty decent heads considering the valve size. It just depends what your goals are. If you want a install it and forget it type installation then the LS6 stuff is the way to go. You could go also go with a Comp Cam that doesn't have a radical ramp on it like a 216/220 or a 220/224. Both cams on a 114 LSA with a lift under .530. Those two cams would be pretty compareable to the LS6 in power curve and driveability. If you go with any of the Thunder, TSP, or MTI cams you are almost guaranteed to have to swap springs every 15k at least if not more depending on the grind. Like I said it's all in what you want. I put a TR224 on a 114 LSA in my motor. I didn't want to go with that big of a cam, but I got an awesome deal on it new so I couldn't pass it up. Do a search and see what you come up with. You could even approach the unknown and do something different. MTI makes a really good set of stage 2 heads for these motors as well as TEA and a few others. You would spend about the same on those heads as you would the GM CNC heads. Then just throw a LS6 cam in it and go. From what I have heard the ASA cam in crazy wicked, but I have no personal experience in this so take that as you will. Ultimately your pocketbook and driveability standards will determine what you should do. Do you drive this car daily? What kinda driving is it? Stop and go or freeway? How many miles a day? Auto or 6 speed? This all determines what you may or maynot want to do. If you have an auto, I say forget heads and cam altogether and upgrade that tranny first. That would net you more gains than any head and cam package at this point. Hope this helps some
Old 01-23-2005, 02:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Looking at your sig, you could slap a STS turbo on there and be happily in the 450rwhp range.
All of which you can remove in under 2hrs if you wish to sell the car in stock form.
Just food for thought.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

LS6 cam took me from 107 traps to 114 traps. Worth the money IMO
Old 01-23-2005, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TheBowtieboy
Well, by that logic upgrading to the LS6 is "cracking" open the engine as well and IMO will deter people just the same . Just like any other package it would need a tune... not trying to be rude but it's basically the same.(To clarify: I'm talking in the sense of LS6 vs the likes of a TR220 cam not those huge 230 + cams)
Sorry, but I just don't agree with this. Opening the engine isn't the issue, it's valvetrain longevity and the engineering that goes into 150K mile certified LS6 parts. There's a reason that the LS6 cam both doesn't idle as well or make as much power as a Comp XE, etc. that has an extra 15 or 20 degrees of duration, and that's because the XE is working the valvetrain much harder against heavy valves and thicker, more brittle springs.

I went through this with a few C4 Vettes and the LT4 hotcam kit. That kit didn't deter anyone, the buyer was always thought it was a big bonus because it was basically a more refined stock engine. I also had a C4 with an aftermarket high lift cam, nobody wanted it. "I have to check the springs for damage and wear every winter? Bye..."

Aftermarket cam packages are a great thing, as long as you won't be selling the car, IMO. LS1Tech is a great resource, but it represents the lunatic fringe of LS1 owners, not the average buyer.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Flareside
LS1Tech is a great resource, but it represents the lunatic fringe of LS1 owners, not the average buyer.
Hail to ALL the LS1 LUNATICS
Old 01-23-2005, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

Most buyers, even buyers who want to modify a car, want an unmodified car. Period. Once it has been taken apart you don't really know what you have unless you also take it apart. Which most people don't want to do.

The people here would call those poseurs. However, my experience from Supras, is that the modifiers are the same way.

Answer...don't modify it unless you want it that way. You can get an LS6 Z06 for maybe $30k. Before modifying a $20k car, you might what to just buy one.

However, if you really want a hot rod. A car you spec'd. A car that shows you are really a car person. A car you have a personal pride in. Then the stuff here is great.

Most of the LS1 cars...Corvettes, Camaros, Firebirds, GTOs, and even some trucks...are great platforms for hot rods.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

thanks guys for all your imputs, i was looking at the STS, but i have to upgrade a lot more, and spend a lot more then i thought i would have to. Im looking for a great daily driver (during warmer months), i want to still keep somewhat good gas millage (i get 30 on the highway), but i want a little more punch, maybe push my car into the mid 12's, nothing too crazy...THANKS!
Old 01-23-2005, 08:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ferariguy3
thanks guys for all your imputs, i was looking at the STS, but i have to upgrade a lot more, and spend a lot more then i thought i would have to. Im looking for a great daily driver (during warmer months), i want to still keep somewhat good gas millage (i get 30 on the highway), but i want a little more punch, maybe push my car into the mid 12's, nothing too crazy...THANKS!
You only need a few mods to run mid 12s. I ran 12.34 @114 with Headers TSP True Duals and an MTI Lid. All you need are some sticky tires and good weather.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:13 PM
11 Second Club

You don't need heads/cam to run 12's. A few bolt-ons will do that no problem whatsoever.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:15 PM
Staging Lane

Just put a cam in the car doesn't have to be to big to match the ls6 also put an ls6 intake on their and you should see good results
Old 01-23-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a STOCk LS6 motor in my car and I had 3.73 gears and the stock 10 bolt and ran my 11.91 at 116 with a 1.90 60 ft so there is a lot better cams and heads out there but peak hp isnt for everybody. My car put down 402rwhp though 12 bolt and 4.10.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

Angry

IMO. LS1Tech is a great resource, but it represents the lunatic fringe of LS1 owners, not the average buyer.
Your trying to tell me I don't fit in the "average buyer" section?
Old 01-24-2005, 11:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by term
Your trying to tell me I don't fit in the "average buyer" section?

A twin turbocharged 408 isn't to average but through in some n20 and you are just an average joe! I also resent the statement about being on the fringe of being a lunatic. We arent on the fringe we are all out lunatics!
Old 01-24-2005, 11:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

LS1Tech is a great resource, but it represents the lunatic fringe of LS1 owners, not the average buyer.
That quote is worthy of being in my signature!
Old 01-24-2005, 12:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kossuth
If you go with any of the Thunder, TSP, or MTI cams you are almost guaranteed to have to swap springs every 15k at least if not more depending on the grind. Like I said it's all in what you want. I put a TR224 on a 114 LSA in my motor. I didn't want to go with that big of a cam, but I got an awesome deal on it new so I couldn't pass it up.
So are you saying that with a TR224 you're going to have to replace springs every 15k? I thought that cam was pretty mild and would work fine with stock internals.

I was thinking of getting one, what are your impressions of it? Numbers?

Thanks.