Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

motor went

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 04:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default motor went

well i am driving up to byron raceway when i am on I-90 and i slow down for the toll plaza (no i-pass) and i hear a really bad noise coming from the engine i start to pull over to the side of the road and i start losing throttle response. then i pull over to the side of the road, and it had no oil pressure at all. then i shut the car off right away. looked under the hood, oil was fine, i wasnt leaking at all. but i all of the sudden had no oil pressure. i have been told that 98's have problems with oil pumps going. what i want to know is what all could have gone wrong other than the oil pump going, what all could it have damaged. i mean i literally noticed it and ten seconds later i shut it off and had it towed home. but i know even a split second of no oil in the motor is really really bad. i have a 1998 trans am ws6 6speed. looks like i am goin to need a new motor. i have taken my car to a guy who is going to take it apart and see what is all wrong. anyone have this same problem at all??? well at least on the bright side i have an excuse to get it built up now.. but man it is damn expensive. also i want to know if spraying nitrous at all on the motor has anything to do with what happened to me. cause my dad is all pissed and saying well its cause your motor cant handle nitrous, (i was only spraying a 75 NX wet shot). i dont think this is nitrous related at all but he is just mad that i have nitrous. thanks
Old 04-22-2003, 04:49 PM
On The Tree

Default Re: motor went

IF you lost oil pressure, and ran it until it stopped running good.....Uhh you might need a rebuild, could of spun a bearing or something like that. Could just try a new pump, and if it doesn't help you can just use the new pump on the built motor.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:52 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

Ugh! If you had noise, you got probs. AFAIK, the computer doesn't even register the Oil pressure (go figure!) and doesn't try to compensate for that, unlike it does w/coolant overtemps. Good luck.
Old 04-22-2003, 05:19 PM
Staging Lane

Use this as an excuse to put a ls6 in there!!

hope that helps
Old 04-22-2003, 05:27 PM
!Dial-up Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the money you really cant beat an iron block build up. You could do an offset ground crank and bore it 60 over for 396ci. through in a good set of rods/pistons/bolts and you are still under 5k.

Justin
Old 04-28-2003, 09:42 AM
TECH Veteran

This is not really a hign tech setup in my view.

...when my oil pump registered zero pressure (in driveway at startup) I shut it off and towed it to a dealer. ...they smacked the pump with a rubber hammer and it fixed the problem... the dealer said if it stops pumping again to run it without oil ...so GM would have to buy me a new motor....

...that was 15K miles ago... ...the low-tech motor is still ticking... my warranty is out, now however...