Sponsored by:

Need power, need help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2005, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need power, need help!

Hello guys!

I need you guys help, I own a 2000 T/A WS6 my current modifications are PS LT Headers, OR Y pipe and magnaflow muffler and K&N air filter.

Ok this is the scenario, my inl aw just bought a 2002 corvette an hi is talking trash about my car and I don't like that. I know his car has much more power than mine, also aerodynamics and weight are part of his weapons.

I don't like this vette vs pontiac thing because I know that vettes are faster cars but I don't like people talking about my car

What can I do to beat his car? I need your help guys!

maybe some cam with out the slopey idle so he can not notice that I modified the car?

You guys are the experts!
Old 01-25-2005, 11:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sgracida
Hello guys!

I need you guys help, I own a 2000 T/A WS6 my current modifications are PS LT Headers, OR Y pipe and magnaflow muffler and K&N air filter.

Ok this is the scenario, my inl aw just bought a 2002 corvette an hi is talking trash about my car and I don't like that. I know his car has much more power than mine, also aerodynamics and weight are part of his weapons.

I don't like this vette vs pontiac thing because I know that vettes are faster cars but I don't like people talking about my car

What can I do to beat his car? I need your help guys!

maybe some cam with out the slopey idle so he can not notice that I modified the car?

You guys are the experts!
Old 01-25-2005, 12:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

First of all, if the vette has no mods then he is not making a lot more power than you. FWIW when I just had headers, exhaust and intake, I could beat stock C5's. Is your car an auto or manual? Is the vette and auto or manual? Can you drive good? Can he drive good? There are a lot of factors to the equation.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

both drivers equal ... there is no way a bone stock 02 c5 is gonna outrun a 00 ta with full exhaust

if you wanna feel more comfortable bout the outcome then just throw on a cheap used ls6 intake and take out some extra weight.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

This will do the job

http://www.rapidmotorsports.com/mode...=1&intYearId=3

We have some special pricing on these if you find yourself in need
Old 01-25-2005, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by tomaSS
First of all, if the vette has no mods then he is not making a lot more power than you. FWIW when I just had headers, exhaust and intake, I could beat stock C5's. Is your car an auto or manual? Is the vette and auto or manual? Can you drive good? Can he drive good? There are a lot of factors to the equation.

The Vette is 6spd no mods, my car is also 6spd. I don't think that I'm a good driver that's why I need more power that him. My car spin the tires to much on the take of and his just take off.

We have not race yet but I been watching his son drive the car
Old 01-25-2005, 01:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

learnin to drive your car will be your best mod then, cause if you can't launch a basically stock car without spinnin there is no way you'll be able to hook with more power
Old 01-25-2005, 01:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by madpwr1
learnin to drive your car will be your best mod then, cause if you can't launch a basically stock car without spinnin there is no way you'll be able to hook with more power
I'm planning to race on a back road maybe from 30 mph to 120mph

he doesn't like to run from stop!
Old 01-25-2005, 02:25 PM
Teching In

QUOTE=sgracida]The Vette is 6spd no mods, my car is also 6spd. I don't think that I'm a good driver that's why I need more power that him. My car spin the tires to much on the take of and his just take off.

We have not race yet but I been watching his son drive the car [/QUOTE]

Any idea other than turbo?
Old 01-25-2005, 02:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Any idea other than turbo?
sure there's a ton of things ... you could just throw in a 427

why don't you just start out with the bolt-ons ... tsp lid, ftra, ls6 intake, asp/march underdrive pulley, ported tb, electric waterpump, and a pair of nittos (probably will not need these for what you're lookin to do)

if you still want more power then start lookin into cams ... mti stealth II cam or the tried and true tr224 would probably be the best choices for you.

or if you really want to go FAST fast ... then just throw on a nos, nx, or tnt kit (take your pick) <--- best bang for the buck right there
Old 01-25-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Get some drag radials. And I second the "learning to drive better" mod. It would be the best. Just go out to where you think you will race and do some practice runs. Manual C5's seem to run pretty good so practice and get some tires. You'll be fine.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm with everyone else. Learn how to row through the gears and you should have no problem taking the vette. Stock for stock they are generally faster due to less weight (they don't really make more power from the factory) but you have the power advantage now.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:37 PM
TECH Regular

you dont really need anymore HP to outrun that vette. you could try gears...i had a lid, lm exhaust, and 4.10's and i was killin vettes. car would run a 13.3 1/4 and it is a 6sp. gears will make you faster! but if you want more power get a cam...tr224 is a good cam
Old 01-25-2005, 10:02 PM
Teching In

I would like to try the TR224 with the LS6 intake but I wonder if after those mods I'm going to be able to use my car for log trips? when I said long trips I'm talkin maybe about 300 to 500 miles and maybe just one time a year. ( that's long for me )

Originally Posted by madpwr1
sure there's a ton of things ... you could just throw in a 427

why don't you just start out with the bolt-ons ... tsp lid, ftra, ls6 intake, asp/march underdrive pulley, ported tb, electric waterpump, and a pair of nittos (probably will not need these for what you're lookin to do)

if you still want more power then start lookin into cams ... mti stealth II cam or the tried and true tr224 would probably be the best choices for you.

or if you really want to go FAST fast ... then just throw on a nos, nx, or tnt kit (take your pick) <--- best bang for the buck right there
Old 01-25-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would like to try the TR224 with the LS6 intake but I wonder if after those mods I'm going to be able to use my car for log trips? when I said long trips I'm talkin maybe about 300 to 500 miles and maybe just one time a year. ( that's long for me )
I drove from SF to San Diego (round trip about 1000 miles) with my car that has a 224 etc etc. It loved it *nod*. Besides, long trips are better for your car. Short trips is what kill syour engine and gas milage.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:30 PM
TECH Regular

again short trips on ur engine kill its life...long trips will save your gas sooooo much when you put a bunch of mods in...i get crap gas round town, maybe 10 mpg, but i get 24-27 on the highway w/ 4.10's goin 80@2200 rpm's
Old 01-25-2005, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i would say a sts turbo kit would do nicely but that is some nice power, base kit is like $4,000, and that can get you well into the 430's for horsepower if not more
Old 01-25-2005, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Race him the way the car stands....you should beat him....especially from a role!!!
Old 01-26-2005, 12:34 AM
On The Tree

I would agree with Mike#9 you should beat him from a roll right now and the weight factor doesnt matter as much when your already movin!
Old 01-26-2005, 10:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Z28_Ninja
i would say a sts turbo kit would do nicely but that is some nice power, base kit is like $4,000, and that can get you well into the 430's for horsepower if not more

I would love to have money for that STS Turbo kit! but I think a cam (TR224/114) it's my only option What duration Do I need to get the car dyno tune?

Thank you guys

Last edited by sgracida; 01-26-2005 at 11:18 AM.