Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Motor Smoking for 5-10 minutes after each cold start

Old 01-25-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Motor Smoking for 5-10 minutes after each cold start

I am seeing multiple misfires in cyl 1 and 6 right at startup . . . then in about 20 seconds blue smoke starts rolling out, idle stumbles, and misfires in all but 2 cylinders. 10 minutes later the blue smoke is gone, still multiple misfires in 1 and 6. Any ideas? Guys around here think it's valve seals, these are brand new TEA heads. I've got a call into TEA but no answer yet. I've heard that more than a few recently have had bad valve seals on TEA heads, anybody else here?

Oh yea, motor is an APE 370ci iron block . . . already spoke to Chris on the phone, he also suspects the seals.

That being said, a few local guys have said that if the motor was setup real loose it could do that until warm-up, but I am seeing quite a bit of blue smoke, more than I would have expected.

- Dug
Old 01-25-2005, 12:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The symptoms match up very cleanly to valve stem seal problems, except for the ongoing misfires on 1 and 6 even after the smoke has cleared.

Recommend you remove and inspect plugs 1 & 6, report back on what you find. If they're completely oil-soaked and fouled up, unable to burn it off after the residual oil has cleared, that might explain the misfires.
Old 01-25-2005, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TEA uses stock valve seals on their heads. I havent seen any issues with stockers that I can remember
Old 01-25-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Resident

I thought TEA used vitron, or something to that effect . . .

Haven't had a chance to check those plugs yet but that's one of the first things I'll do.

- Dug
Old 01-25-2005, 03:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by xssive
TEA uses stock valve seals on their heads. I havent seen any issues with stockers that I can remember
I used GM '98 seals (the ones that are independent of the spring seats) and no smoke here. They definitely work when installed correctly w/ the right tool.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got my heads back from TEA and they have stock seals
Old 01-25-2005, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by xssive
I just got my heads back from TEA and they have stock seals
I have seen this alot on ported heads you have to silicone the rocker bolts they go right into the intake port on most ported heads.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, when the intake ports are opened up, the rocker bolt holes penetrate into the intake runner. Even though the seal is good, the intake vacuum will suck oil down through the seals and the rocker bolt threads... I bet if you put some thread sealer on them, you'll be good to go. As far as the smoke anyway.

It's possible the plugs on 1 and 6 are oil fouled, if they happen to be the ones that got the most oil drawn in. That may be the misfire.
Old 01-25-2005, 04:13 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by John_D.
Yep, when the intake ports are opened up, the rocker bolt holes penetrate into the intake runner. Even though the seal is good, the intake vacuum will suck oil down through the seals and the rocker bolt threads... I bet if you put some thread sealer on them, you'll be good to go. As far as the smoke anyway.

It's possible the plugs on 1 and 6 are oil fouled, if they happen to be the ones that got the most oil drawn in. That may be the misfire.
Ah!! Great catch on the porting work, and if I may recommend Permatex Teflon-based thread sealant on the rocker bolts, that should keep the oil where it belongs.

I've met the TEA guys at a previous National F-Body event (www.fbody-event.org) and they know their stuff, very unlikely this is a stem seal problem if they did the work.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with John_D and Crainholio, most likely the rocker bolts need some sealant and the spark plugs are oil fouled.
Old 01-25-2005, 07:46 PM
9 Second Club

If it is only on startup then it can't be the rocker arm bolts. That is only going to draw oil while the car is running. The valve stem seals allow oil to leak down on the top of the valve and therefore smoke will be present on startup only.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GueSS Who
If it is only on startup then it can't be the rocker arm bolts. That is only going to draw oil while the car is running. The valve stem seals allow oil to leak down on the top of the valve and therefore smoke will be present on startup only.
The most common symptom of seals is smoking on deceleration. If it burns for a few minutes on startup it is more likely oil that seeped in while it sat. Easy test, once the blue smoke is gone, shut it off and start it back up right away. If it doesn't smoke it is most likely not seals. Then let it sit for 45 minutes and start it again.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Addict

Are you sure the rings are seated right?

Search this Thread