Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this normal? (Gunk on cylinder walls)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 09:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is this normal? (Gunk on cylinder walls)

Hello. I'm in the process of cleaning my early 2001 LS1, supposedly with 20K miles on it. I cleaned the piston tops, but when I rotate the engine a sludge gets left behind. From what i can tell, it starts (gets deposited) at the top of the piston travel and then some gets dragged downward.
Is this normal? When I take out and clean the pistons will this stuff go away or is it a pre-cursor of future problems?

Attached are pictures.

Thanks
Ben
Attached Thumbnails Is this normal? (Gunk on cylinder walls)-cylinder-gunk-2.jpg   Is this normal? (Gunk on cylinder walls)-cylinder-gunk.jpg  
Old 01-28-2005, 10:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's leftover from cleaning the piston tops.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:41 AM
TECH Addict

It looks like rust. How long has this engine been sitting?
Old 01-29-2005, 01:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No I don't think it's rust. Looks like Carbon build up where the top of the "top Ring" is. You should try to get all of it out. Get a hard tooth brush (the Extra firm type of tooth brush) and some top end cleaner. Get a rag to dampen the area where it is at. Let it sit for a little bit and then (with a rag under it) Loosen it up with the tooth brush. Then wipe it away. Should be able to get most of it like this.

As far as the stuff already in the Cyclinder, just poor a little in each. YOU WILL HAVE TO DRAIN THE OIL PAN. Carb cleaner should finish it off and will dry clean. Basically you are flushing out all the carbon build up on the compression ring and the quench area of the piston.
Old 01-29-2005, 08:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. You learn something new everytime. I've never cleaned pistons on an engine so I definitely think it is the WD-40/residue buildup that was being left on the walls. I guess it filled up the ring lands and got squished out when the piston changed direction as the oil control ring is too low to clean that. Excellent, thanks again.

The engine is coming completely apart so I'll pay special attention to cleaning the ring land area when the pistons are out.

Thanks
Ben
Old 01-29-2005, 09:18 AM
Launching!

Hi Ben: When your done cleaning the motor I would put a good coat of fresh oil on the cylinder walls to coat them. If you start the motor up dry you could wipe out the rings. Good Luck
Old 01-29-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, good idea. I was going to spray the walls with WD-40 as I've heard it helps with the initial start (it is combustible) and lubricates as well.

Ben

Quick Reply: Is this normal? (Gunk on cylinder walls)