Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many DIY'ers degree cam?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 05:21 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many DIY'ers degree cam?

Ok, thinking, I rarely see mention of the DIY guys degreeing their cams and makes me wonder why not? Most every thread I have read involves installing Dot-to-Dot and calling it good. Is it lack of experience, tools needed, adjustable timing set or what? Curious thats all.

Charlie
Old 01-30-2005, 07:50 AM
TECH Addict

Unless you get a custom cam, any advance or retard is degreed in (unless you get a custom one and have them put some advance in there). I just didn't want to spend extra money on something that was not really going to matter. It took a little while, but dot-to-dot worked out perfectly for me. Now if you got a custom cam, and you were not sure if you wanted to install it straight-up or not, or if you wanted to be picky, or maybe you wanted to crack open the front cover multiple times to really dial the car in, then yes, you should degree it. The only way I would start messing with that is if I bought a two piece timing cover so I didn't have to take the whole car apart every time. But that cover is stupid expensive, so screw that.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:04 AM
11 Second Club

I think most people don't degree a cam out of lack of knowing how.Besides that,I have yet to experience a Comp cam grind that was off.If you have a quality timing chain and camshaft, it is very unlikely that it is off,possible but unlikely.
Anthony
Old 01-30-2005, 08:57 AM
TECH Regular

i normally do degree cams in, i didnt on my camaro cause i used a ls2 timing chain and i couldn't change the postion if i wanted to. i'm gunna say most people dont know how to though
Old 01-30-2005, 09:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know how to but it would be nice to know. If someone on here would -to explain how to do it(pictures/how-to writeup), maybe more people would be inclined to degree their cam. I would like to!!!
Old 01-30-2005, 10:51 AM
11 Second Club

i didnt do it because it was not necessary! got it dot to dot, spun it around a couple of times and lined back up every time. i know that it could still be off, but i havent heard many if any of people not getting their car done right with the dot to dot. now if it was a sbc then that is a different story, but these motors are not quite fool proof, but close enough
Old 01-30-2005, 10:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Most people don't know how, or think it's hard to do. It's actually pretty simple once you understand what you're doing.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:14 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Its not the idea of checking where your cam is installed but more where to set the CL based on a particular combination.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

well how the hell do you do it? I dont ming buying the wheel and doing it but I dont know how, so dot to dot seems to make sense

any links on how to do it?
thanks
ed
Old 01-30-2005, 11:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Comp Cams sells a Cam Degree'ing kit for newbies. It comes with all of the tools needed and an instructional video.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

well,i didn't when i did my H/C but i wish i would have,as my power peaks a little low for my combo.(i might have accidently installed it advanced,i used an adjustable timing gear). it's a good idea just to make sure everything is right.

Last edited by 66deuce; 01-30-2005 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-30-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

anyone care to explain how it's done?
Old 01-30-2005, 12:16 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by madpwr1

anyone care to explain how it's done?
I did a search on the net and came up w/ pics and all. I'm a tool maker so I understand how to use a dial indicator. Repeatability is important. Degreeing the cam will tell you everything about it. A friend bought a custom grind from Lunati and it didn't match the card. I'm sure this doesn't happen very often but if you don't check it you never know.
Old 01-30-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Grey Silver
I did a search on the net and came up w/ pics and all. I'm a tool maker so I understand how to use a dial indicator. Repeatability is important. Degreeing the cam will tell you everything about it. A friend bought a custom grind from Lunati and it didn't match the card. I'm sure this doesn't happen very often but if you don't check it you never know.
care to add your knowledge and information you found onto this site?
Old 01-30-2005, 02:35 PM
11 Second Club

here you go
http://www.ridgecrest.ca.us/~biesiade/camdegree.htm
Old 01-30-2005, 03:13 PM
11 Second Club

Here's a better one
http://www.superchevy-web.com/tech/0105sc_timing/
I've only done this once but I'm getting ready to do it again. I think the hard part will be attaching the indiactor, I used a clamp set up. A mag base doesn't work to good on an aluminum head. I used an indicator in the plug hole to find TDC as well.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

awesome, thanks
Old 01-30-2005, 09:42 PM
Restricted User

Not to be a total ***, but Sounds like mostly laziness/lack of understanding. To say the LS1 is so much better has **** to do with degreeing in a cam IMPO. A cam is a cam is a cam, and its a machined part, no different in the process than a SBC or SBF or wtfe. You may not have noticed, but back when you ordered your cam, I am willing to bet that nobody got exactly what the F they paid for on the 1st grind. Example, my TR 224 .588 114*, straight cut, was 223.0/225 .585/.582 113.3* (Comp Cam & Card) so although the machining was supposed to be in line, it wasnt. I didnt bitch or complain, because i know these things happen. Similar results from my TSP 231/237(Lunati Cam & card) it was off some. So there in lies the problem. The Dot to Dot is the factory way of assembly for a factory piece, which varies just as much if not more, but its not being sold for Hi performance use. google, how to degree a cam,, it will have lots of results and all say pretty much the same thing, and I agree .050" is best method. Both methods, ICL and .050" are also on the video included, as mentioned above.
I have installed dot-dot and havent had issues either, but I know if i was getting paid to assemble an engine for someone, or even swap cams, it would be degree'd to ensure performance, and should be more of an industry standard. Again, for my personal car and its pathetic little stock bottom, throw it in dot-dot and when she gets forged it will be done right.
Does anyone sell an adjustable crank gear for the LS1 using a single chain, not double. Just the crank sprocket itself? Kind of tired of the higher dollar LSx mark up for an adjustable set.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CAT3
Does anyone sell an adjustable crank gear for the LS1 using a single chain, not double. Just the crank sprocket itself? Kind of tired of the higher dollar LSx mark up for an adjustable set.
Charlie
I have the bottom sprocket from a Cloyes single-roller hex-adjust set that you can have. It only allows straight-up, 4 deg advance, or 4 deg retard adjustments via different keyways. The top sprocket adjustability is all that I need.
Norris

It is hard to believe that some hotrodders would pick a radical cam that piston-to-valve clearances become a concern and they choose NOT to degree the cam in. I've seen first hand the damage inadequate PTV does. It literally made my stomach turn. My 2 cents, if one knows that they are not going to degree a new cam in, then don't select a radical cam.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:13 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

first couple i didnt, but on the new build up i did. motor was on the stand so i figured i'd do it right. cam is custom with assymetrical lobes and different base circles and i wanted to put the ICL on the one Ed told me too. i bought my comps degree kit from ebay.

Quick Reply: How many DIY'ers degree cam?