Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will LS1/6 pass for 95 GMC truck standards?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will LS1/6 pass for 95 GMC truck standards?

I am planning an LS1/6 and T56 swap into my 95 GMC Sierra. I am wondering what the emissions are like in these engines. The truck will still have to pass the emissions for it as it was stock. I am guessing that the newer LS engines are alot better on emissions then my current 95 TBI engine but I really dont know seeing they were made for sports cars. I am planning heads/cam other small bolt ons and porting. Headers and full dual catback. Possible turbo system in future... What are some of your opinions on the emissions...it will have to pass the sniffer because they will suspect its obd1. If anyone has the sniffer numbers on their car with or without mods and could list the numbers so I can compare with my current numbers and limits that would be great! Please list if your car is stock or what it has for mods...

thanks in advance,
Mike
Old 01-31-2005, 12:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i blew a 200 ppm of CO with no cats and pretty much all the bolt ons except for intake and injectors
Old 01-31-2005, 09:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't quote me on this because EVERY state is different and sometimes there are differences from county to county in a given state. I know with my swap here is what it becomes. I have a 2000 S10 pickup I'm installing a LS1 into out of a 01 vette. For a motor swap to be legal the motor has to be of the same year or newer than the vehicle it's being installed into. My truck will now have to meet the emissions requirements of a 01 vette. All emissions devices must be in place on the S10 that were on place in the vette in my case. Once I have everything in place, I have to go to a referee station and have a SMOG referee check the truck over. They will inspect it to make sure it is all up to code. Once you do that you can get it inspected and such. This is in Maryland, and it's pretty much the same in Cali. Now this is what it's like in MY STATE in MY COUNTY, check with your local DMV and see what you have to do. If you have to only meet the requirements of the truck then you are ok.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Everytime I read post like this I realize how lucky I am to not have to deal with the emissions junk. When I did my LS1 all I was worried about was HP/TQ!
Old 01-31-2005, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

Hmmm i see i see. I guess ill have to contact the DMV and ask. I dont want to ask under my name though cus then then will suspect me in the future!!! I was under the assumption that I just had to pass the limits for the 95 truck engine. They arent doing the sniffer tests on the LS1's anymore here in mass. They are just scanning from the computer now ( allegedly ).

Thanks,
Mike

Quick Reply: Will LS1/6 pass for 95 GMC truck standards?