Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help.. dropped a lifter.. arrgghhhh

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help.. dropped a lifter.. arrgghhhh

I was doing a head/cam swap and dropped one of the lifters. my question is can i just drop the pan and get it out.. or will I HAVE to pull the engine all the way out?? any tricks of the trade... as i know i'm not the only one to ever drop one.

any suggestion would be most welcomed.

thanks in advance,

Devin.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:44 PM
Teching In

ewww doesnt sound to good........
Old 02-01-2005, 08:44 PM
10 Second Club

you were doing heads and cam.....the why did you drop a lifter, should have pulled them out since you had the heads off, it only takes 5 min......as for your lifter you might be able to weasle it out with a good bendable magnet.....but youll prob end up having to drop your pan
Old 02-01-2005, 09:41 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I can tell you this it is probably sitting on top of the baffle in the oil pan the only way will be though the front timming cove with a magnet I bought a very strong one from Home Depot with a bendable extention attached and I am sure it is stong enough to get it the problem will be the crank rotation you will more than likely hit one of the throws of the crank while fishing it out and so you will need to be prepared to rotate the crank accordingly with a bolt on the end of the crank and a wrench or socket and as you come to any blockages just rotate the crank a little move it more towards you etc.. You will need to go from the front right side of the pan, but cant garantee it will work but it is the best shot with out removeing the pan completely (You can't do that with out lowing the K-member a little.). If I were you I would go ahead and remove all the oil pan bolts so you can get a little extra room it should come like that for sure. Good luck!
Old 02-01-2005, 09:55 PM
On The Tree

Inspector.. thanks for the tips, much appreciated. I have done at least 8 cam swaps.. so i feel like a tool as it is. I was in a hurry to pull the cam/springs/ret and ship them out before i left the next day for skiiing. Well, i pulled the cam (spun it 2 rotations) then without thinking about it went to work on the spings. I dropped a few valves into the cylinders.. no biggie i'm pullin the heads.. well, i got pressed for time and couldn't get the bottom bolts off the heads without completely dropping the long tubes which were clamped.. but low and behold the guys tack welded the rear to some hangers (true duals over the axle) so.. to type a long story short. I caught a case of the dumb-asses and forgot to put a stocker cam back in .. I thought about it on the way back.. and called the wife and walked her through putting a cam back in there for me and was waiting for her to say i can't get it back in.. so i thought to myself.. either i got really lucky or all of them fell .. lol.

I finally got around to working on her again.. and crossed my fingers. but alas i had one culprit that denied my hopeful smile.

to sum it all up... CHIT happens!!!

again.. many thanks for the tips.
Old 02-02-2005, 10:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've dropped one before. It may be sitting on the crank..it's a good possibilty it is. You can fish it out of the hole about the cam. Mine was on number 6.
Old 02-03-2005, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dropped a few, But what worked for me was I dropped the oil pan a little and used a pen magnet and flash light to get it out. Like someone said, also check to see if It's resting on your crank.