Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porus Lifter Bores.....?!?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Porus Lifter Bores.....?!?

Alright fellas. As the title says. I've been diagnosed as having porus lifter bores causing oil to seep into the water jackets and end up in the coolant. Now I'm not a professional by any means but I'm deffinatly not a dummy in the shop. I thought that the lifter bores and the water jackets were fairly far apart. Would have to be pretty slim chances for oil to work its way all the way there wouldn't it? I'm asking because if this really is the problem I see no other solution than buying a new block. The GM is quoting me $10k or so. I don't like hearing the mention of numbers that big, so I want to be COMPLETELY sure what they've said makes sense. Anyone here care to either confirm or deny their story? It would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

LMAO

I'd get them to put that on paper, in full then when the engine is apart go point out the obvious and tell them to put it back together for free as they mis-diagnosed the problem, which would fix the leak as its probably in the head gasket. The next obvious thing is a complete NEW LS1 engine from GM isn't that expensive...the new block is ~$1200 so I don't see where $10k is being spent, perhaps to buy the dealer's owner a new set of golf clubs???

The lifter bore is ~1" away from the water jacket around the cylinder, there is a machined bore down to feed oil to the lifters(still ~1/2" away from water jacket), but that certainly wouldn't 'seep' the oil.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:04 PM
12 Second Club

Definately have them put that in writing, and then fax it to GM customer service.

They'd get a good laugh out of that.

10k is outrageous, as mentioned. Definately into "bend over with no lube" territory.

Oil in your coolant = bad head gasket, cracked block, or warped/cracked head(s).

BTW, be sure it's oil and not power steering fluid in your coolant, it's common for the PS cooler to leak into the coolant. (The PS cooler is the metal tube behind the radiator fans with two lines running to it from the PS pump).

Bad30th
Old 02-04-2005, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts

Please don't tell me this is a dealership? Nevermind, I don't want to know.

Chris
Old 02-04-2005, 04:46 PM
9 Second Club

Ya......They are trying to rape you.

I worked as a tech in a dealership for 5 years. That is not the problem. LOL