Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SES Light Blinking, happened in strange way......

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SES Light Blinking, happened in strange way......

Alright I just got the car home under a blinking SES light which after looking through the forums here enough I'm guessing it must be a misfire. And it sure sounds like a misfire.

This is what happened. I was driving around in it for around a half hour, running beautiful and very strong as usual. No indication of any problems. And I stopped off in front of a friends house to talk and left the car running while I went to talk to him. Around 15 mins, probably less, pass and I get back in the car and the SES light is blinking. I put it into drive and I can dfinetly feel it. So I drive the car right home only about 2 mins away shut it down and I try resetting the computer to make sure it wasn't some kind of fluke. The car fires up and the SES light comes on but does not blink right away. After about a min or 2 of idle the SES then starts to blink.

Could anyone give me any suggestions of where to start off first? I thought it was odd the car ran perfect and I let it sit and idle for under 15 mins get back in and all of a sudden an SES. I was thinking because of the mileage the plugs might need some changing. I had the car tuned for use with nitrous.

Car is an auto and i've never banged off the rev limiter. I never even got on the car that night. Car has 38k Miles original everything except for the work I had done. Heads/Cam/Lifters (Comp R's)/Hardened Pushrods/Stock Rockers/Katech Oil Pump. Oil pressure always 40 PSI or above.

Thanks alot for any help at all. I read threads on this but most of them seem to happen when people are running the car hard. Mine was just sitting idling so maybe it could be something simpler. I'm going to get to work on it soon as enough snow clears.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get the Code scanned it will tell you better than anybody can guess. However it does have the symptoms of a misfire.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Happens all the time..
LT headers and cam cause it...no big deal.
Old 11-02-2005, 01:11 PM
Launching!

What was the problem?
Old 11-02-2005, 03:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A blinking SES light is a catylist damaging miss fire. Really bad miss. With a scan tool you should will be able to tell exactly where the miss is coming from. It will tell you what cylinder and everything.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:46 PM
Launching!

Ha well this one turned out just to be something stupid. I guess from it sitting still and the motor shaking alot it wiggled a wire off the coil. When it first happened I looked and all the wires looked to be on so I didn't know what to do and I didn't bother with it for about a week. I started it back up and it was still misfiring so I looked again and the wire wiggled its way all the way off the coil. Popped it back in and worked like a charm.