Sponsored by:

oil catch can questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 09:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil catch can questions

i dont understand?
on a 99 na c5 ls1 modified with a ls6 valley cover, a catch can and pvc mod.
if you have 2 lines,
1 from the valve cover to the tb.
and the other from the ls6 valley cover thru x ft of hose, a catch can, more hose and pcv valve to the tb, its natural that the flow will follow the path of least resistance, thus most of the flow is not going thru the catch can? (with both the valley cover and valve cover being the same positive pressure, basiclly originating from leakage past the rings in the crankcase not in the valve covers). is 1 of the inlets on the tb full vac and the other regulated from the throttle blade?
can i run both vents, rocker cover and valley cover to 1 catch can and then back into the tb? to the pcv valve or the vent on the tb?
thanks,
don
Old 02-06-2005, 10:22 PM
Staging Lane

If I've read your post correctly, you've got a catch can inline with your PCV hose. PCV is hooked to intake vacuum, the other hose is conencted to atmospheric pressure. Theoretically the one at atmospheric should be a crankcase intake and the PCV should be evacuating the crankcase.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:05 AM
Teching In

the front vent on the pass side goes to the angled fitting on the tb, i dont know what it does without removeing it and looking inside. the rear tube joins the drivers side and goes to the catch can. and then the pcv and tb.
so..
the front 1 should be left alone? because its filtered air going into the motor?
plug the other 2 on the valve covers and just the 1 from the valley cover to the can/pcv/tb?
theoretically i guess so.?
if it should over pressurize the pressure would then go out the front tube into the intake and not blow out the dipstick?

Last edited by donnyonee; 02-07-2005 at 12:16 AM.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, leave the front vent on the passenger side alone. Remove the other lines that go to the valve covers and block them off. Then you just have the line from the valley cover going through the can/pcv/tb. Check out ls1howto.com if you need to.