Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

in need of a lesson on cams

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default in need of a lesson on cams

I don't really know a whole lot about cams and I'm in the market for one. For now I have stock heads, its a 99 z28, but I see my self getting an ls6 intake. I don't care a whole lot about streetabilty, I do but I'm not an old lady about it. I want to gain low end torque mostly but also gain some through the whole rpm band. I dont really know alot of numbers as far as where it will affect me in the rpm's. Whats logic and whats not?
Old 02-09-2005, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by z28convert
I don't really know a whole lot about cams and I'm in the market for one. For now I have stock heads, its a 99 z28, but I see my self getting an ls6 intake. I don't care a whole lot about streetabilty, I do but I'm not an old lady about it. I want to gain low end torque mostly but also gain some through the whole rpm band. I dont really know alot of numbers as far as where it will affect me in the rpm's. Whats logic and whats not?
just go forabig *** lift like below .620. I would recommend the magic stick v3 byTSP or the Ron Jeremy vam by FMS or even teh Juggernaught by LG.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:54 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ws.6kid
just go forabig *** lift like below .620. I would recommend the magic stick v3 byTSP or the Ron Jeremy vam by FMS or even teh Juggernaught by LG.
ignore this guy.

check the cam guide in my sig.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes ignore ws.6kid, he's not steering you in the correct direction. Check out JRP's various guides, as theyre quite helpful. Unfortunately, most cams will ultimately feel like theyre giving up low end torque, as they tend to move the power band upwards in the RPM range. This can easily be made up for by changing gears in the rear a little later. I really like what ive seen and heard of FMS cams. They make great power, while maintaining great street manners and low end torque. Its almost unfair that they should do so well across all the arenas.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:25 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

z28, give eastside a call, Ken has a few cams taht work well in daily driven cars, and make decent power. They are a sponsor over here---------------------->
Old 02-09-2005, 06:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want more low end torque, swap your LS1 for a diesel engine.

If you want more hp and an increase in torque across the rpm band, then there's a lot of cams out there... JRP's cam guide is a good place to start if you don't know what you're looking for.

Also, call around to the different sponsors who specialize in camshafts (Thunder Racing, Texas Speed, Futral, etc) and talk about your goals and ask for their recommendations.