Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need new rings and bearings. Best brand?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2005, 10:45 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default I need new rings and bearings. Best brand?

I have my engine in pieces and found out I need new rings and the bores need honing. Since everything has to come apart I guess I also need all new bearings to make the engine 100% again. My bearings looked good but I don't think they should be re-used.

What brand options do I have for LS1 bearings and rings?
Who's are the best, maybe OEM?
I have Katech rod bolts but should I also buy new ARP mains or just re-use the stock stuff?

Also, at this point what would the advantage be to going with a set of oversized, forged piston? This will make it a 347 right? I am never going to go N2O or forced induction so I doubt the forged stuff will help me.

Thanks
Old 02-13-2005, 11:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, what NOT to buy? I am curious too.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:54 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you were going to road race or run open track right?

if so i'd go ahead and get the forged setup. clevite, federal mogul, durabond all make bearings. diamond, JE, lunati make rings too. i think the best bet is rotating assembly; crank, rods, pistons, bearings, and rings. im sure any of the sponsors could set you up; eagle/diamond combo will be the best budget set. i'd upgrade to L19 rod bolts while i was at it. then have your block machined (line honed w/ tq plate), decked for straightess, cyl honed and cleaned, and get ARP main studs.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You need to be carefull with the main bearings if you going to if use the factory crankshaft.If you use hardened bearings with time they can your crank.If i going to use the oem crank i use the oem stuff.But i you use a forged crankshaft them use higend bearings.Just my .02 cents.
Old 02-14-2005, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fastsspr
You need to be carefull with the main bearings if you going to if use the factory crankshaft.If you use hardened bearings with time they can your crank.If i going to use the oem crank i use the oem stuff.But i you use a forged crankshaft them use higend bearings.Just my .02 cents.
Sorry but I am not sure what you are trying to say? Something about aftermarket bearings being unsuitable for the stock crank?

Thanks for the info jrp, I would love to go forged but after looking at the prices for pistons and rods I am going to have to stick with all my factory internals and just get new bearings and rings. My guess is the best way to go is the 'ol GM dealer for OEM parts?
Old 02-15-2005, 09:48 AM
On The Tree

My local GM dealer tells me there are only standard size rings and bearings available for these engines. Does this sound right? I wanted to stay OEM because I have no idea about the quality of the aftermarket parts. Can anyone shed some light on this?
Old 02-15-2005, 10:57 AM
8 Sec Tuner

Federal Mogul 152M main bearings. Clevite77 H-Series rod bearings. Durabond cam bearings. All good stuff.

As far as rings go, anything from JE/Diamond/Wiseco/Mahle/Speed Pro/Total Seal will get the job done.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mike TexaSS
Federal Mogul 152M main bearings. Clevite77 H-Series rod bearings. Durabond cam bearings. All good stuff.

As far as rings go, anything from JE/Diamond/Wiseco/Mahle/Speed Pro/Total Seal will get the job done.
Wow, I went from zero info to too much info in one post Thanks for providing all those names.

Do you sell all these products? Which are the best rings for a street car?
Old 02-15-2005, 02:34 PM
8 Sec Tuner

Originally Posted by V8er
Wow, I went from zero info to too much info in one post Thanks for providing all those names.

Do you sell all these products? Which are the best rings for a street car?
Call Late Model Engineering and talk to Bryan or Pecos. We buy all of our engines and engine parts through these guys. They'll give you all of your options and help you make the most informed decision.

LME - 713.849.4505
Old 02-16-2005, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mike TexaSS
Call Late Model Engineering and talk to Bryan or Pecos. We buy all of our engines and engine parts through these guys. They'll give you all of your options and help you make the most informed decision.

LME - 713.849.4505
Thanks for the tip, I will call them today. From the engine guys I've talked to it sounds like Diamond or Childs & Albert is the way to go for rings.