Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need experienced advice, PLEASE!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 12:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need experienced advice, PLEASE!!!

I've been doing searches till my fingers are sore!!! I still have questions! These are especially important cause I'm getting ready to pull the trigger.

I've been talking with a well know forum tuner about having him install a mild cam in my corvette c5 automatic. He says I'd be better off having him install a 2800 tc while I'm having him install the cam. I'm putting on the longtube headers myself before I take it down there. Here's the dimensions of the cam I'm thinking of: 210/218 @ .050 531/531 114 LSA. A Crane cam, (so called; "accelerated lift" cam). I want a really stock idle, and streetable car, with lots of lowend torque. This cam is supposed to deliver it. Would I have to have a stall converter with this cam, if I want stock-like characteristics? He, of course, is going to dyno-tune after the installation. If I later installed ported heads, would I have to retune? If I installed heads before I drove, (about 1500 miles) down there to have the cam installed, without a tune, would the car run alright? I know, after as much searching as I've done on this forum, I should know some of this. I know these are common questions, but I just don't seem to have the answers straight in my mind, and I want to know what you guys think, before I make a mistake. PLEASE let me know what you all think!
Old 02-16-2005, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Your car should idle and drive very close to stock with that cam tuned properly. The torque converter seems to be one of the most recommended mods for an auto, cammed or not, although that one is on the smaller side of what I usually see around here but seems to be a good match for your cam. As far as your heads, you need to tell us what kind they are, but you should be fine driving on the stock tune. Many people around here drive cars with fairly large cams and heads for a while without tuning. Good luck, let us know how it all turns out.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:05 AM
Restricted User

That cam is small alright. Might want to consider getting an AFR Combo. Idles very smooth and loads of power.
Yes that small of a TC will benefit you quite well. Will only take a little driving to get used to but definatley worth every penny. My 3000 stall on stock everything else was a dramatic improvement, going with a cam at the same time would be sweet! I say do it.
Depending on the heads I am sure a retune would be minimal adjustments, but yield great results. Looking at all the posts I would go with the AFR Combo again.
Wouldnt hurt it driving sans tune after install to get tuned at all. That small of a cam shouldnt be a problem either while waiting for a tune.

Good luck
Charlie
Old 02-16-2005, 01:10 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LSUxBlake
Your car should idle and drive very close to stock with that cam tuned properly. The torque converter seems to be one of the most recommended mods for an auto, cammed or not, although that one is on the smaller side of what I usually see around here but seems to be a good match for your cam. As far as your heads, you need to tell us what kind they are, but you should be fine driving on the stock tune. Many people around here drive cars with fairly large cams and heads for a while without tuning. Good luck, let us know how it all turns out.
Hi thanks for the reply!!! The heads would, almost surely be, the GMPP ported ls1 heads with the ls6 springs. Money is tight, but if I could dig up a little more before I do this, (in the next couple of weeks), I'm also thinking of the GMPP ported ls6 heads. I understand LPE does the porting on both of these heads. I'm not sure about the tc right now. I had originally thought that cam would be good without a new torque converter. What do you think?
Old 02-16-2005, 01:15 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think after a short time you will wish you got a bigger cam than that, but who knows, to each his own. I believe that cam is smaller than a stock Z06 cam; wouldn't you like a cam that's at least a little bigger than what another stock vette has? You really have to go very big before you start losing low end torque in a LS1.

For you, I sugest a TR224 114 LSA or some other 224 cam on 114. With tuning, the idle is not much worse than stock. But with this cam, you will feel a definite increase in power at all rpm's over the stock cam. I ran this cam for two years and loved it.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:19 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by loudsam
I had originally thought that cam would be good without a new torque converter. What do you think?
Yes it would. But as others have said, even the stock cam is better with a high stall converter.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cal
Yes it would. But as others have said, even the stock cam is better with a high stall converter.
I certainly feel your right about the stall converter. Do you think, If I were to install the above heads before leaving, (about 1500 miles), without tuning, I would have any problems. Would the car run alright? Would I be worried all the way? I'm thinking of installing 1.8 Crane Rocker Kit at some point in the future. That would give me alot more lift with that cam. I'm CERTAIN I'll never run the car at a strip, but I do want a substanial increase in street performance! I'm trying to "kill 2 birds with 1 stone" if I install heads before I leave, ie; he's going to tune anyway, after the cam/converter install!
Old 02-16-2005, 01:59 AM
Flow Wizard

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just had to quickly chime in here....

With all the emphasis you are looking to place on low RPM power, street manners, torque, etc., you would be crazy not to consider the AFR 205....it's practically made for what you are looking for and will also help boost power everywhere else. You want a small high flowing cylinder head if you are truly after what you have inquired about...not to mention the additional fuel economy it will help generate as well. Educate yourself on what type of cylinder head can help you achieve your goals and I'm confident you will see why the 205 is such a perfect fit.

Tony M.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tony Mamo @ AFR
I just had to quickly chime in here....

With all the emphasis you are looking to place on low RPM power, street manners, torque, etc., you would be crazy not to consider the AFR 205....it's practically made for what you are looking for and will also help boost power everywhere else. You want a small high flowing cylinder head if you are truly after what you have inquired about...not to mention the additional fuel economy it will help generate as well. Educate yourself on what type of cylinder head can help you achieve your goals and I'm confident you will see why the 205 is such a perfect fit.

Tony M.
I heard a guy on the corvetteforum say he got just about 50rwhp with those heads alone! If I could get close to that, with maybe a set of Crane 1.8 rocker arms, I would seriously consider giving up the idea of another cam!!! I'm really not hard-core with my car. BTW, the guy I mentioned above said he was running through stock exhaust on his z06 corvette. He didn't have much in the way of mods, and was putting out something like 410rwhp, and alot of torque, (can't remember)! I imagine with headers he would have gotten 425 or so rwhp. The torque he got was down low, as I recall. This was after a dyno-tune.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the $, doug, do it all at once. AFR heads, cam, valvetrain upgrades and converter are sure to put a smile on your face. don't forget about exhaust
Old 02-16-2005, 06:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

First do bolt ons, then move to head, cam etc....
Old 02-16-2005, 07:19 AM
Restricted User

Well, now look what you've gotten yourself into! H/C, bolt-ons which one, help, help. Ok for real. You know should have a good idea of what your final goals are, and make sure your not lying to yourself, I did
So, there are many paths to take grasshopper, choose your path wisely!
For the record I am not any way affiliated with AFR, I just research a helluva lot before making any more mods, and seeing the real world results, it tough to think about anything else. It is a PROVEN combo. At the power your looking for, which isnt a tremondous amount, all the bolt-ons might be more PITA then what its worth. Add the heads and cam and if you want more, get the LGM Headers, FAST Intake etc. I went the opposite of Predators recommendation and in a way I am glad I did. I went with suspension first with a 3000 stall TC, then cam, then headers, later finally got an LS6 intake. I have always 60' better then my buddies due to the suspension so in at the finish line I could always be close with less power. Now I am stepping it up another notch. It can be as addicitive as tattoo's, only you know the inner SpeedRacerX you can be
Good luck and most improtantly, have fun with your ride!

Charlie
Old 02-16-2005, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by loudsam
I heard a guy on the corvetteforum say he got just about 50rwhp with those heads alone! If I could get close to that, with maybe a set of Crane 1.8 rocker arms, I would seriously consider giving up the idea of another cam!!! I'm really not hard-core with my car. BTW, the guy I mentioned above said he was running through stock exhaust on his z06 corvette. He didn't have much in the way of mods, and was putting out something like 410rwhp, and alot of torque, (can't remember)! I imagine with headers he would have gotten 425 or so rwhp. The torque he got was down low, as I recall. This was after a dyno-tune.
wow wow wow man wait you want a small cam for street maners yet you putting 1.8 rockers on, you do know that if you got a cam with 560 lift with stock 1.7 rockers with the 1.8 your lift will go up to like 600, for that you migth as well get a tr224,224 114 lsa or 112 lsa with the stock rockers streetability will be alot better than with the 1.8 rockers with any cam, well almost any cam man. Also remember that even a small cam might not be good with 1.8 spacially if the ramp rate is to fast.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:48 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by smask04C5
If you have the $, doug, do it all at once. AFR heads, cam, valvetrain upgrades and converter are sure to put a smile on your face. don't forget about exhaust
Hey Steve! Did you get your tc installed? I pm'd ya,

Doug
Old 02-16-2005, 08:51 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all the advice/info guys!!! It sure helps to have people to ask advice from, and just kind of bounce ideas onto. I never belonged to a forum, till I bought this car. Sometimes I wonder if it won't be my downfall!!! Oh well, who really gives a s*%^!!!
Old 02-16-2005, 09:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, going to Jax this weekend to put a 396 together for someone. May get it done next week, if I can find time. Remember that all VHP cams are designed for Crane rockers and they work