Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to buy for LS1, need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 01:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What to buy for LS1, need help!!

I have a $1500 gift certificate for Summit Racing, got it for x-mas. Not real sure what i should be doing to my SS. all the info about current changes to car are in sig. Originally i was going to do a heads/cam setup, but not sure if, A, I need want to spend that kind of money or, B, is it necessary. i'm thinking right now that I want to do i cam and new valve springs. Biggest thing is what in gods name do I look for??? what company should i be looking into, comp? GM? also will i need to get it tuned/buy a tuner? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks
Old 02-16-2005, 03:52 AM
Staging Lane

long tube headers and a healthy cam will be a squeeze, probably will have to spend a couple extra bucks, but the engine will be a whole new animal.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Give Futral Motorsports a call they will let you know exactly what you need. They also do a mail order tune. I would say get a cam for sure but you should also do headers so you can get more out of the cam.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:32 AM
10 Second Club

long tubes are a must, especially considering i'll have the motor out of the car. I checked out futrals site, looks like they have what I'd want, biggest problem is, there's like 47 different cams, what the heck should i be looking for???
Old 02-16-2005, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZR2877
Give Futral Motorsports a call they will let you know exactly what you need. They also do a mail order tune. I would say get a cam for sure but you should also do headers so you can get more out of the cam.

I think he is asking what to get from summit since he has a gift card.

Anyway I would spray that bitch. 1500 you could get a cam and N2o if you installed it yourself.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:37 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Summit doesn't have many engine parts for a LS1. I would get subframe connectors and control arms from them and get the engine stuff from a good sponsor like Thunder or Futral
Old 02-16-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Addict

Your jokin right? You don't reallly expect to make horsepower on an LS1 using a $1,500.00 gift certifacate do you? You might otherwise sound like a cheapsake had I not read your sig which shows your not averse to spending a few bucks. Heads are where it's at for that money (Stage II $1.500.00), but you should dig deep and add a cam, headers. ASP pulley. cold air induction, a REFLASH. Your not a penny pincher so go ahead and buy some fully rollerized rockers. Nobody likes those OEM rubbing blocks they call rockers trying to open your valves. Buy some Comp Cams Pro Mag 1.85s and some "R" lifters. Add some Comp Hi Tech pushrods and now your getting close. Don't try to fool yourself or us and spend the money you know you need to spend to get you where you want to go or STOP BENCH RACING!
Old 02-16-2005, 11:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

actually i bet at least 75% of the people on here are using stock rockers...what is a REFLASH...or "rollerized" rockers...i've never heard of them like that haha...."R" lifters aren't really showing great results...and there is NO need to get those unless you have a lot more power than what he has...and how is this bench racing...and what has he spent besides the borla that was a lot of money??? i don't know where you are coming up with all this info
Old 02-16-2005, 05:20 PM
10 Second Club

if i didn't have to hear it from my old man i would've been sprayin' that thing the day I got it. Nitrous is an addiction of mine, but it's always been on a race car, nothing on the street. I guess i'm "trying" to be a penny pincher since i'm paying my way through college and trying to pay the car off, and pay rent. The race car isn't coming out of my wallet, pops floats it on that one, he's the one that usually wants to make **** go faster anyways. But seriously, i appreciate everyones input, but i have 1500 to spend, plain and simple, and i'd like to go the cam route since so many people tell me that the stock ls1 heads flow good, but the valve springs should be replaced with something stronger. Whatever, just give me a carb. F that fuel injection , j/k