Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure way past max

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2005, 04:10 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure way past max

Just finished up my car and she idles fine and what not, but the oil pressure gauge is buried way past max and will not move.

Is it possible that the sensor took a poo? I think the sensor is the one on the side of the oil pan right next to the starter but i could be wrong.

No rags were left in the pan as i already checked that. Im going to start her up again today and warm her up a little, then change the oil. Think this could also be my problem???

Do I need to reset the PCM you think?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Nate
Old 02-17-2005, 04:14 PM
Launching!

most likely a broken oil pressure sending unit. if you werent careful with changing the manifold this can easily happen, hell it happens when you are careful.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:17 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Or it could be the presure relief valve in the oil pump is stuck. I'm betting on the sending unit though.
Old 02-17-2005, 05:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

When I swapped from my '98 LS1 to an '04 LS6 this past summer, I ordered a new oil pressure sensore (one behind manifold) and installed it. When I started it up, my oil pressure was off the guage as well. I swapped back to my '98 LS1 sensor, and everything went back to normal. I don't know if the new sensor was for a different model year, or if it was simply damage in the motor swap, but going back to my original sensor fixed my problem.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:18 PM
Banned

The smaller vacuum style sensor behind the manifold? Because I couldn't find the damn thing when i put the manifold on but was too anxious to fire her up.

I think i actually broke it off when i pulled off the old manifold. But I can't seem to find a connector to it. Anybody have a pic?

Nate
Old 02-17-2005, 09:31 PM
Banned

anybody?
Old 02-17-2005, 09:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by taufern
The smaller vacuum style sensor behind the manifold? Because I couldn't find the damn thing when i put the manifold on but was too anxious to fire her up.

I think i actually broke it off when i pulled off the old manifold. But I can't seem to find a connector to it. Anybody have a pic?

Nate
NO pics but it is about 3" in height and is on the right side(facing the car) of the motor in the very back. If you lift up the manifold a lot more in the front than you do in the back it will break almost every time. Good news is that it is realativly cheap as far as sensor go.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:42 PM
Banned

do you know of a part number for it? I tried searching on gmpartsdirect and gmdiscounted parts but couldn't find anything to help me out. Thanks

Nate

Quick Reply: Oil pressure way past max