Sponsored by:

whining sound in cab/under dash? while driving...6 speed 99 SS

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation whining sound in cab/under dash? while driving...6 speed 99 SS

Hey guys-
This is what I got. I just noticed a whining coming from what sounds like under the dash as I'm driving. It is very noticeable in 1-4 gears, but 5th and 6th are not nearly as noticeable.
When I clutch to shift, the noise stops completely. If I put the car in neutral and rev, there is no whine. Only when driving in gear.
There does not seem to be any driveability symptoms or anything...so not sure whats going on.

Once again, it sounds like it is coming from the dash behind the glovebox area, or possibly even the door panel. Hard to tell sicne I am driving while it's doing it.

any ideas

sorry if this was the wrong board for this...just wanted to throw it in scein I didn;t know if the problem is with teh engine or the trans or somewehree else in teh drivetrain..

thanks guys
Old 02-18-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have had a bad whining noise from the passenger seat every since I got married! good luck figuring out where yours is coming from
Old 02-18-2005, 11:33 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BrentB@TEA
I have had a bad whining noise from the passenger seat every since I got married! good luck figuring out where yours is coming from
Ha ha so do I!
Old 02-18-2005, 11:34 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kick_Ass_99SS
Hey guys-
This is what I got. I just noticed a whining coming from what sounds like under the dash as I'm driving. It is very noticeable in 1-4 gears, but 5th and 6th are not nearly as noticeable.
When I clutch to shift, the noise stops completely. If I put the car in neutral and rev, there is no whine. Only when driving in gear.
There does not seem to be any driveability symptoms or anything...so not sure whats going on.

Once again, it sounds like it is coming from the dash behind the glovebox area, or possibly even the door panel. Hard to tell sicne I am driving while it's doing it.

any ideas

sorry if this was the wrong board for this...just wanted to throw it in scein I didn;t know if the problem is with teh engine or the trans or somewehree else in teh drivetrain..

thanks guys
Are you sure it's not the A.I.R. pump?
Old 02-19-2005, 12:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Kick_Ass_99SS
Hey guys-

any ideas

thanks guys
could be the throw out bearing?
Old 02-19-2005, 12:37 AM
Teching In

dont know, is that in the area I described on these or up front like on the lt1's?
Old 02-19-2005, 01:19 PM
Teching In

throw out bearing...hmm...now thats an idea there

but the clutch assembly is new...but who knows maybe they skimped out and did not put a new throwout bearing into it

and as of today, so are both clutch cylinders (master/slave)
Old 02-19-2005, 01:19 PM
Teching In

the shop said possibly a shim is too tight or loose causing too much play inside
Old 02-20-2005, 10:08 AM
Launching!

My car has done the same thing since day one. Mostly in 1st-3rd gears. I figure its a bearing inside. Its done for 75k miles so I'm not too worried about other than the noise.

Quick Reply: whining sound in cab/under dash? while driving...6 speed 99 SS