Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need HELP in the middle of a cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 04:54 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need HELP in the middle of a cam swap

followed the directions over at ls1howto and im stuck at putting in the rods to hold up the lifters... Im using 2 5/16" rods to hold up the lifters... I put the driver side rod in no problem.. and the passanger side rod WILL not go in. Do i just spin the cam and walla??? I've tryed to put this damn rod in for over 3 hours now with no go. It keeps getting stuck on 4th and 6th number piston / lifters.
I have a few pen magnets but it feels like it wont hold the lifter up.. Is there any specific ones i could use that will hold the lifter or just any old pen magnet will do? because i have some and i put them in and try to pull the lifter up so i could see if i can slide that rod and still no go.

Can anyone help me please.. What can i do ? My car is apart and its my daily driver so i need to get this thing going asap. I cant pull the heads... nothing like that.

Whats the deal? Why wont the lifter go up?
Old 02-25-2005, 05:21 AM
9 Second Club

Just spin the cam while you push in on the rod it should go in.Im assuming that you didnt pull the cam out already.Or just use the pen magnets to hold the lifters as you spin and push in on the rod.I've ran into this many of times, it shouldnt that hard.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Spin the cam clockwise 5>6 times kinda fast, then insert the rod. On the pass. side you might need to grind the rod flat on one side and insert it with flat side towards the 2 O'clock position. Once rod in, rotate 90 * .
Old 02-25-2005, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you got the rod stock then your gonna have to grind a flat edge down the whole length of the rod. if you dont feel like doing that, go up to home depot or lowes and buy some dowel rods in the same size, they should go in easier and are only a couple bucks. if your in the SE michigan area you can stop by my house i have a load full of different dowel rods and rod stock from previous installs. good luck
Old 02-25-2005, 09:00 AM
TECH Addict

spin it, make sure the pushrods are staying up, and just russian roulette the passenger side. the lifters will stay up. just have that new cam all lubed up before u pull the old one out. its good to have two people at this point. thats all i did. and its good that your car is newer....better chance of the lifters staying up.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:33 AM
Teching In

i have put about 20 cams in f bodys i just spen the cam about 5 time and they will stay in place then pull the cam out i have never had to use anything if you have any more q. i am joey at D C Motorsprots in Waco ,TX 254-214-4821
Old 02-25-2005, 12:41 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the help...

Ill give the suggestions a try.. I cannot risk dropping that lifter in because i need all this done by today..

Ill update the post once i get done..

Do i have to use the RTV sealent? and do i need to wait about 1 hour for it to dry up?? because it seems like the new gaskets have some kind of sealent on there already. Just like the stock gaskets have that orange stuff.

Did the stock LS1 springs have any kind of colored strips on them?
because i pulled out my stock ls1 springs and they had a light orange strip on all of them. I always thought the ls6 springs had those on there? I'm the original owner so there have been no cam swaps in the past.

Last edited by Camaroguy; 02-25-2005 at 01:09 PM.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

ttt hey so what happened, did you ever get it ironed out?