Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

getting the f13, can i make an hour drive with no tune?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2005, 03:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting the f13, can i make an hour drive with no tune?

id be having it installed 1 hr from my house.. i can take it easy all the way back and i can deal with the cutting off part, but is it safe for the motor, i could hang under 3000 rpms the whole time, not like ill dog it until i get a tune, then i can send my dyno tuner who is 4 hrs in the other direction my computer and he can do a mail order tune for 250, then charge me the other 150 once i make it to the dyno for the full job. this is the best ive come up with.. only other option is put the cam in myself and possibly screw something up, never worked on motors before, so prolly not a good idea, only one other problem i will prolly have the guy putting in my gear that is doing the dyno tuning, so with the mail order tune and 3.23's i wonder if it will drive up there okay, i can always keep it in 3rd rather then od on the highway to make sure the rpms dont go to low and just cruise at like 60.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:19 PM
11 Second Club

or i could just put the cam in myself with ya'lls help, and get a mail order tune and put the gear in myself with ya'lls help if u think this is possible.. me and my dad did rebuild my trans with no experience, so perhaps we should tackle this as well?
Old 02-26-2005, 03:52 PM
Retired Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cam swap you could do yourself no problem, but gears are a pain in the ***.
Old 02-26-2005, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

well i can have the dyno guy dothe gears when he does the tune, all in a few hours he said, then we'll even take it out and drive it and make sure its all good to go.. bit i figured by the time i damn bought one of those spring tools and those magnets to hold the lifters up, thats atleast half of the 250 id pay this guy to do it in one day without getting my hands dirty.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doing a cam swap is a lot easier than you think. Just follow the ls1howto.com cam install documents and you should be good to go. You could also drive your car untuned as long as you don't floor it. Tell me how I know, I drove an untuned G5X2 on a 112 for about 100 miles, and other than the idle, once it was going, it drove fine.
I'll even go as far as to say that you could drive the 4 hour trip untuned to get to the dyno without a problem, as long as you stay under 3000 rpms.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Junkie

i drove my f13 untuned the day i installed it. other than wanting to die/surging at stoplights, it wasn't too bad. the auto will be a little less forgiving than my m6, but still you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Turo
i drove my f13 untuned the day i installed it. other than wanting to die/surging at stoplights, it wasn't too bad. the auto will be a little less forgiving than my m6, but still you shouldn't have any problems.

Idle may suck, but when driving the car, the computer will adjust fine to it.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:41 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you'll be fine driving it w/ stock tune, just don't go nuts. I just did basically the same thing you're doing, this is what I did. Cam install myself, drove the car 3 hours to get it tuned and have the gears installed. If you don't have experience installing gears yourself that's probably not something you should mess with. But the cam on the otherhand was pretty easy IMO.